Rounding error reporting grades

Tom Salyers

Nov 15, 2021, 6:37:08 AM11/15/21
to Numbas Users
Hi, all.

We're getting an error when reporting grades back to our Blackboard VLE. We have one test* that has a possible 15 points. There are two instances where a student scoring a 13 is getting 12 reported back to Blackboard and a student getting a 14 is getting 13.99999 instead.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is likely to be a problem with the test itself, something internal to Numbas, or somewhere in the reporting process when the grades get back to Blackboard.

Has anyone experienced this and/or does anyone know where the problem might be?

*I don't know if this is happening in any other tests. I'm waiting to hear back from the person who reported the issue.

--
Tom Salyers, MBCS
Senior Education Developer/System Administrator

William Haynes

Nov 16, 2021, 11:02:00 AM11/16/21
to 'guillaume theo' via Numbas Users
I also see this occasionally with Blackboard, although I haven’t been able to detect a pattern.    Students sometimes report that their score in blackboard doesn’t agree with their score in Numbas.
Clicking the ‘report scores back’ always fixes the problem.

Will

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Nov 17, 2021, 3:12:30 AM11/17/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
I'm aware of this. I think it's a timing issue, to do with the way scores are cached. I'm going to look into it.