Square of trig functions

Will Foreman

Feb 16, 2021, 5:52:32 AM2/16/21
to Numbas Users

Hello all,

tl;dr
Is there a way to represent sin^2, sec^2, etc. in JME?

I am making a question that includes differentiating a trig function which I have randomised. In the answer, I have {derivative}({a2}x). The variable a2 is just an integer and derivative is an expression. This works fine when derivative is cos or -sin (eg. it could expect cos(3x)), but when it is sec^2 it thinks sec is a variable so expects sec^2*3x. This also happens for sin^2 and cos^2 Is there a way to get around this, or a better way to input sec ^2?

Many thanks,
Will

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Feb 16, 2021, 6:34:27 AM2/16/21