Partial credit for wrong precision

David Wishart

Mar 12, 2024, 12:49:41 PMMar 12
to Numbas Users
Is it possible to give a partial credit for wrong precision in terms of a whole number rather than as a percentage of the total?

I have a question worth 3 marks and would like to award 2 marks for answers that are not the correct precision. The closest I can get is 65% which gives a mark of 1.95.

David Wishart

Mar 12, 2024, 1:15:38 PMMar 12
to Numbas Users
I have something works but am not sure if it is the best way, basically changing "settings["precisionPC"]" to "0.3333333333333" (I probably don't need that many decimal places) in the custom marking algorithm appears to do it.

correctPrecision (Has the student's answer been given to the desired precision?):
    if(
        if(student_is_scientific,
            togivenprecision_scientific(studentAnswer,settings['precisionType'],settings['precision']),
            togivenprecision(cleanedStudentAnswer,settings['precisionType'],settings['precision'],settings["strictPrecision"])
        )
    ,
        true
    ,
        sub_credit(0.3333333333333333333333333,settings["precisionMessage"]);
        false
    )

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 12, 2024, 1:17:40 PMMar 12
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,
No, it's not possible at the moment, sorry. I agree that the range input doesn't work particularly well. I've made an issue about this: https://github.com/numbas/editor/issues/817

Your custom marking algorithm would do it for now. (but you can write 1/3 instead of 0.3333333333333333333!)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 16:49, David Wishart <d.wi...@tees.ac.uk> wrote:
Is it possible to give a partial credit for wrong precision in terms of a whole number rather than as a percentage of the total?

I have a question worth 3 marks and would like to award 2 marks for answers that are not the correct precision. The closest I can get is 65% which gives a mark of 1.95.

David Wishart

Mar 13, 2024, 4:46:25 AMMar 13
to Numbas Users
Thanks Christian,