users aren't getting test completion emails

Dev Shah

Feb 27, 2023, 12:04:46 AM2/27/23
to Numbas Users
In our environment we have set the EMAILC_OMPLETION_RECEIPTS to true but users are not getting test completion emails. Was wondering which SMTP settings (if any) does Numbas use to send emails? I've searched through the Numbas documentation  site https://docs.numbas.org.uk/lti/en/latest but couldn't find any reference to SMTP host config. If anyone has got this working, please let me know how did you setup your env.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 1, 2023, 3:15:52 AM3/1/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Numbas uses Django's email sending code, which is documented at https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.1/topics/email/.
I'll add a link to this in the Numbas documentation.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 05:04, Dev Shah <wsu0...@gmail.com> wrote:
In our environment we have set the EMAILC_OMPLETION_RECEIPTS to true but users are not getting test completion emails. Was wondering which SMTP settings (if any) does Numbas use to send emails? I've searched through the Numbas documentation  site https://docs.numbas.org.uk/lti/en/latest but couldn't find any reference to SMTP host config. If anyone has got this working, please let me know how did you setup your env.

Dev Shah

Mar 1, 2023, 6:37:55 PM3/1/23
to Numbas Users
Thanks Christian. I had a look at the Django doco though that's specific to how the framework sends out emails. Aren't there any config in the Numbas app e.g. settings.env etc to add the SMTP host, user and password etc?

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 2, 2023, 4:12:35 AM3/2/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
You use the Django settings to specify the host, user and password. In numbasltiprovider/settings.py, set EMAIL_HOST, EMAIL_PORT, EMAIL_USER and EMAIL_PASSWORD.

Dev Shah

Mar 15, 2023, 1:43:58 AM3/15/23
to Numbas Users
Hi @Christian, we use Docker containers so I am not sure how Django settings will work as you have to go inside running container in a bash shell to update these values and restarting the container would require us to set these values every time. Also, I am not familiar with Django framework if it would just use config values after the web app has been started or does it load only at the start. Would you please clarify this? Thanks

Dev Shah

Mar 22, 2023, 12:29:40 AM3/22/23
to Numbas Users
Hi Christian... any updates on my above post? we use containers for Numbas. Need to know how these emails settings will work in Containerised env?

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 23, 2023, 5:11:11 AM3/23/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dev,
Sorry, we've had an unprecedentedly long bout of industrial action here, so I'm just back to work today, and gradually catching up with my inbox. I will get round to looking at this.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 28, 2023, 4:53:05 AM3/28/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've finally had time to take a look: on March 8th, I added an EMAIL_URL setting to settings.env. There's an example in settings.env.dist, explaining how to use it: the template for SMTP is EMAIL_URL=smtp://user:password@localhost:25
I'm sorry, it seems I didn't actually tell you about this! Anyway, please give that a go, and let me know if it works.