Extensions for Local developmental set up

Dean Ang Gmail

May 12, 2023, 2:26:20 AM5/12/23
to Numbas Users
Hi, I have set up a local developmental installation of the NUMBAS editor. There were teething problems. I am trying to get the extensions, like the statistics function, but am running into problems. Documentation is scant and not helpful.
Thank you.

Dean Ang Gmail

May 17, 2023, 3:21:05 AM5/17/23
to Numbas Users
Looks like not many people visit this group...

Johan Slabbert

May 17, 2023, 3:31:28 AM5/17/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
I think many users are currently busy with end of year exams. Maybe provide more information also with screenshots, your specific local install specifications and some errors you receive?

Johan

Please refer to http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
for full details.

Dean Ang Gmail

May 17, 2023, 3:44:46 AM5/17/23
to Numbas Users
I appreciate any help and am not expecting too much support from free software.
But it sounded like there was no reply because I did not provide enough information.
My point is, there is not much documentation on how I can install an extension. I figured it out myself using the "upload an extension" page, which is obscurely hidden in the profile page.
The source of the extension is https://github.com/numbas/numbas-extension-stats
The problem is that the editor did not register the functions.

If these screenshots help:
Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 3.37.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 3.43.53 PM.png
Thanks for the effort put into creating and maintaining a great tool for educator.

An Educator.

Johan Slabbert

May 17, 2023, 4:11:07 AM5/17/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
My first guess would be you did not install / enable the jstat requirement on your development machine?

Please confirm

Johan

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 17, 2023, 4:32:59 AM5/17/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Sorry you've had to wait for a reply. This is my first day back at work since scratching my eye at the weekend - I've been functionally blind for a couple of days!

Thanks for pointing out that there isn't much documentation about installing our extensions from GitHub. I've added an item to the to-do list: https://github.com/numbas/editor/issues/765

The important thing when installing an extension is that the "short name" has to exactly match the one in the code. For the statistics extension, that's "stats", not "jStats".

Johan's guess was not accurate - jStat is bundled with the extension, so you don't need to download it separately.

If you'd like some more help, please make an appointment during my office hours - https://www.numbas.org.uk/office-hours/. Seeing the places where you get stuck would help me to write better documentation.

Dean Ang Gmail

May 18, 2023, 3:25:38 AM5/18/23
to Numbas Users
Yes, I did not.

Dean Ang Gmail

May 18, 2023, 3:26:55 AM5/18/23
to Numbas Users
Thanks. Tried all sorts of short name, including stats. Didn't work.

Dean Ang Gmail

May 18, 2023, 3:31:29 AM5/18/23
to Numbas Users
Is this the correct place for the extension?
https://github.com/numbas/numbas-extension-stats

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 18, 2023, 3:33:52 AM5/18/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com

Dean Ang Gmail

May 18, 2023, 3:35:07 AM5/18/23
to Numbas Users
Haha, then my problem is not solved caused I used the zipped folder from the repository.

Dean Ang Gmail

May 18, 2023, 3:35:27 AM5/18/23
to Numbas Users
cos

Dean Ang Gmail

May 21, 2023, 10:06:27 PM5/21/23
to Numbas Users
No progress at all. Can someone please let me know what is the correct way of installing an extension? Thanks in advance.

Laura Midgley

Jun 7, 2023, 6:15:48 AM6/7/23
to Numbas Users
Hi there!

We've pushed an update to the editor to improve the extension installation, if you could update and try again to upload the extension with the 'stats' short name (having deleted any previous attempts) I believe it should work!

If not, please let me know what errors you're seeing and we can troubleshoot further.

Dean Ang Gmail

Jun 7, 2023, 9:52:53 AM6/7/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, will give it a go. :-)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Numbas Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/numbas-users/7f79a739-6bde-4ff5-9931-8390bb1fbf5cn%40googlegroups.com.

Dean Ang Gmail

Jun 9, 2023, 12:28:54 PM6/9/23
to Numbas Users
Sorry to trouble you. How do I do a non-destructive update?

Dean Ang Gmail

Jun 9, 2023, 12:39:40 PM6/9/23
to Numbas Users
Nevermind, managed to google it and used git pull.
Thanks! It works!