Config file for safe exam browser not doing what it should

Don Shearman

Mar 12, 2023, 11:45:30 PM3/12/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Brains Trust

I'm working with our IT department to configure the update for the LTI server v3.2 but keep running into difficulty with the configuration file for the Safe Exam Browser option. Specifically it seems to be what to set the "Start URL" parameter on the  General tab to. I've tried setting it to the home page for the LMS but this ends up in an infinite loop, to the URL for the specific test on the LTI, which results in an error message, and leaving it blank which results in a page telling the user that SEB has not been configured correctly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and/or supply a sample of how the config file should be set up please? We're using Blackboard as our LMS.

Many thanks for any help,

Regards
Don Shearman

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 28, 2023, 5:01:42 AM3/28/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,
You should use the URL given under "Start URL" on the "Add a new SEB settings file" form. Have you seen the documentation at https://docs.numbas.org.uk/lti/en/latest/admin/lockdown-apps.html#adding-a-safe-exam-browser-settings-file ? Maybe a series of screenshots of the process would help.

Don Shearman

Apr 1, 2023, 12:02:51 AM4/1/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com, D.S...@westernsydney.edu.au
Hi Christian

I had a look at the documentation but it isn't clear to me what is required. I only have access to the LTI server from the instructor perspective, not from that of the installer. I assume that the URL in question is available from the console for the server?

Regards

Don Shearman

Don Shearman

Apr 3, 2023, 12:09:15 AM4/3/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Again Christian

I've now got the correct URLs from the server but now when I attempt to launch the test I'm getting an error message "Not launched by Safe Exam Browser.  The resource must be launched through Safe Exam Browser with the correct settings”. This message is coming up in SEB. No doubt I'm missing something basic, but I have no idea what it is.

Regards

Don Shearman

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Apr 4, 2023, 4:28:54 AM4/4/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear, SEB config files need to be set up by someone with superuser privileges on the Numbas LTI server. The interface for configuring them is in the admin dashboard, as described in the documentation. Is that what you did?