Help in Migrating Numbas

Dean Ang Gmail

Apr 12, 2024, 9:15:45 AMApr 12
to Numbas Users
Dear Numbas community,
I have installed NUMBAS editor locally on my computer and, over the years, built a pool of questions I used for my tuition business.

It has come to a time that I feel I should migrate some of these questions to the web.

I have the following plan:
(1) Subscribe to a Virtual Private Server. I am currently using hostinger and is like to use their VPS plan. Seems like Ubuntu is more widely supported so I might go with that.
(2) Install NUMBAS editor on the host and migrate my questions to the new editor.

Questions:
(1) Can migration be done? Seriously, it is important to consider this before I invest in the VPS.

(2) How do I go about installing and migration.

Thank you and wishes everyone a happy weekend.

regards,
Dean Ang

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Apr 12, 2024, 9:38:48 AMApr 12
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
You could take a dump of the database, and restore that on the new server, and then copy over your media folder.

Dean Ang Gmail

Apr 12, 2024, 12:31:11 PMApr 12
to Numbas Users
Does that mean the server will use the same db? My current local editor is using db.sqlite3. Or do I have to switch to a more "robust" database, like mysql?
And, I am not well-versed in "taking a dump of the database, and restore on the new server". Any documentation on that?
Lastly, is this the documentation I should refer to, for the setting up of the editor:
https://docs.numbas.org.uk/en/latest/server-installation/ubuntu-web.html

Thank you.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Apr 17, 2024, 7:00:08 AMApr 17
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
You can just stick with sqlite3 - you'll just have to copy the db.sqlite3 to your new server.
If you want to allow for multiple users to use the server, you'll need something like MySQL. Here's a set of instructions that I found via google: https://hevodata.com/learn/sqlite-to-mysql/
Yes, those are the right instructions for setting up a Numbas editor on a dedicated server.