Problem with display-only JME functions

William Haynes

May 15, 2022, 11:06:09 AM5/15/22
to Numbas Users
I am having trouble getting these functions to work as I think they should.  For example, if I put $\var{diff(x,y,1)}$ into a problem statement, Numbas generates variables for x and y instead of rendering the partial derivative.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,
Will

Ben Brawn

May 15, 2022, 6:54:17 PM5/15/22
to Numbas Users
My understanding is these work in the simplify environment, i.e. try $\simplify{diff(x,y,1)}$

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 16, 2022, 7:09:51 AM5/16/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Yes, \var is for substituting in values, and \simplify is for displaying expressions.

William Haynes

May 16, 2022, 7:52:39 AM5/16/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Got it, thanks.