Sulfer/Sulphur

David Wishart

Jun 24, 2021, 6:05:18 AMJun 24
to Numbas Users
I've started using the chemistry extensions and wonder if it's possible to include the British spelling of sulphur?

I've written a question that handles it

but it gets unwieldy if I want to test more elements at the same as I need to use the likes of

"if(element_name1="sulfur","Sulphur",element_name1)" [name1 variable in example]
to convert the display text or

"if(element_name2="sulfur","sulphur|sulfur",element_name2)" [name2 variable in example]
as a pattern to match if I want to accept either spelling.

Alternatively, is there a neater way of doing this?

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Jun 28, 2021, 6:02:12 AMJun 28
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
If you only want to accept 'sulphur' and not 'sulfur', you could add this line to the question's JavaScript preamble:

Numbas.extensions.chemistry.element_with_name('sulfur').name = 'Sulphur'

If you want to accept both, I suppose you would have to do a special case, like you've got in that question.

I'm not a chemist, but my memory from when I was doing GCSE ~20 years ago was that we in the UK were switching to use 'sulfur' to match the rest of the world. Is that not the case?

David Wishart

Jul 12, 2021, 5:16:31 AMJul 12
to Numbas Users
Thanks for that, it's for an online course which could include students from outside the UK so I'd prefer to accept both versions. I am also not a chemist but this question came from one of our chemical engineering lecturers so we use sulphur here.