Minimal example for custom marking script

Antony Edwards

Jan 20, 2021, 3:29:44 AM1/20/21
to Numbas Users
Hi,

I am hoping to write some questions that involve "give an example of <object> satisfying <condition>". I think that I will need to use custom marking scripts to make this work, but I would love to hear alternative options.

I was wondering if anyone either had any questions like this they could share, or some simple questions that showcase basic custom marking scripts. I was thinking along the complexity of:
  1. Student enters two numbers in gap fills
  2. Part is correct if the first number is greater than the second
or,
  1. Student enters a 2x2 matrix
  2. Part is correct if the matrix is non-singular
etc.

Cheers,
Ant.

Julia Goedecke

Jan 20, 2021, 3:54:52 AM1/20/21
to Numbas Users
Dear Antony,
if you search for "accept any symmetric matrix", you will find a
question by Christian which does exactly this kind of thing, and you can
easily adapt the checking condition to det(studentMatrix)<>0

--

Dr Julia Goedecke
Teaching Fellow in Mathematics

julia.g...@leicester.ac.uk
0116 252 5352

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Jan 20, 2021, 3:56:40 AM1/20/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/numbas-users/9b9e8dbe-72b8-833e-1bf8-a2f3b22bf151%40cantab.net.

Julia Goedecke

Jan 20, 2021, 3:59:29 AM1/20/21
to Numbas Users

Wrong keyboard shortcut sent the email before I was finished!

Dear Antony,
if you search for "accept any symmetric matrix", you will find a
question by Christian which does exactly this kind of thing, and you can
easily adapt the checking condition to det(studentMatrix)<>0

https://numbas.mathcentre.ac.uk/question/57718/accept-any-symmetric-matrix/

The one with two gaps needs a bit more knowledge how to talk to the two
gaps, but this is also not so hard.

Here is one:
https://numbas.mathcentre.ac.uk/question/share/view/6b65474b-f103-464e-a0ce-86016e56e727

All the best,
Julia

Antony Edwards

Jan 20, 2021, 5:34:47 PM1/20/21
to Numbas Users
Absolutely brilliant, thanks :)

I don't suppose there is a similar example with referencing gap-fill questions (I've checked on the list of "How-tos"). I think I would be comfortable doing this if I knew how the gaps were referenced in the custom marking script.

Cheers,
Ant.

Julia Goedecke

Jan 20, 2021, 6:42:22 PM1/20/21
to Numbas Users
I sent one in the previous email, the link should take you there.
Julia

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/numbas-users/d58323fd-9006-4463-9533-0cf7d9909ffen%40googlegroups.com.

Antony Edwards

Jan 20, 2021, 10:01:24 PM1/20/21
to Numbas Users
Thanks Julia, sorry I missed your second link.

Kind regards,
Antony.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Jan 21, 2021, 4:31:36 AM1/21/21