Fwd: "Announcement: Fall 2024 Preliminary Arizona Winter School Virtual Program in Number Theory"

Bianca Viray

May 1, 2024, 7:34:27 PMMay 1
to ntuw

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Brandon Levin <s...@math.arizona.edu>
Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 2:15 PM
Subject: "Announcement: Fall 2024 Preliminary Arizona Winter School Virtual Program in Number Theory"
To: <bvi...@uw.edu>

Dear Bianca Viray,

On behalf of the organizers of the Arizona Winter School, I am writing to draw your attention to the upcoming 2024 Preliminary Arizona Winter School - Virtual School on Number Theory, and ask you to encourage students to apply to the program.

The topic this year will be “Symmetries of root systems and local fields.” This online workshop for undergraduates and beginning graduate students is a companion program to AWS 2025 program on “Representation theory of p-adic groups,” taught at a level accessible to undergraduates with a modest background in proof-based mathematics.

Our hope is to expose enthusiastic students to new and exciting mathematics. The program also aims to prepare and encourage them to pursue further studies in this and related areas.

We are especially hoping to attract, and will be actively recruiting, students from underrepresented minority groups who might not necessarily think of specializing in number theory.

The 9-week long, online event will feature 2 speakers giving 5 lectures each, and will center around facilitated small group interactions and problem solving. Each lecture series will take place from September 23rd — November 22nd, 2024 on the following topics: Melissa Emory (Oklahoma State): "Symmetries of root systems"

Catherine Hsu (Swarthmore): "Local fields”

For further information about PAWS 2024, and to apply for the school, please visit: http://swc.math.arizona.edu/ I very much hope that you will be able to help us to encourage interested students to apply to the program. And if they have any questions, they should feel free to contact me at s...@math.arizona.edu

Warm Regards,

Brandon Levin

(on behalf of the PAWS 2024 organizers: Renee Bell, Isabel Vogt, and David Zureick-Brown)

Assistant Professor of Mathematics

Director, Southwest Center for Arithmetic Geometry

--
Brandon Levin
Director, Southwest Center for Arithmetic Geometry

--
Bianca Viray (she/her)
Craig McKibben and Sarah Merner Professor of Mathematics