User Still Visible in GAL in Outlook after hiding from exchange 2016

selahattin şadoğlu

Aug 24, 2022, 6:04:06 AM8/24/22
to ntsysadmin
Hey all,

The situation:

We already have Azure AD Connect installed and synchronizing our AD users -  We  had an on-prem Exchange 2016.

when i am disabling a user from exchange , but still it's visible in GAL waited for a day or even week also but same.

I have run Get-offlineAddressbook | Update-OfflineAddressbook command on my Exchange server.

As part of my testing I ran an update on the offline address list and then in my Outlook 2019 I reloaded the address list from account settings download address list.  users are still showing.

In my Outlook I  removed outlook profile then reconfigure but user still shows.

Well, I've checked the replication and found no issues...

Anyone had similar problems?

Michael B. Smith

Aug 24, 2022, 7:35:27 AM8/24/22
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

Try this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/address-books/address-lists/manage-address-lists#hide-recipients-from-address-lists

Thanks.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Managing Consultant

Smith Consulting, LLC

maxcoder1

Aug 24, 2022, 8:24:31 AM8/24/22
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Already I have been using below command. But still same issue.

Set-<RecipientType> -Identity <RecipientIdentity> -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

Michael B. Smith

Aug 24, 2022, 8:29:06 AM8/24/22
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

I’m guessing these mailboxes are not licensed any more, is that correct?

Thanks.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Managing Consultant

Smith Consulting, LLC

maxcoder1

Aug 24, 2022, 8:34:48 AM8/24/22
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
We had an on-prem Exchange 2016. Not Exchange online.
After user left , I have offboarding workflow like below. Not EXO or Onprem.

- Disabled user -> remove member of user -> set hidden mailbox -> move disabled ou

Michael B. Smith

Aug 24, 2022, 8:43:08 AM8/24/22
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

“had” is past tense.

Do you still have the on-prem server or is it gone?

Thanks.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Managing Consultant

Smith Consulting, LLC

We had an on-prem Exchange 2016. Not Exchange online.

After user left , I have offboarding workflow like below. Not EXO or Onprem.

- Disabled user -> remove member of user -> set hidden mailbox -> move disabled ou

maxcoder1

Aug 24, 2022, 9:05:47 AM8/24/22
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
sorry , We have already on-prem Exchange Server 2016. not using EXO. Just  We already have Azure AD Connect installed and synchronizing our AD users.  Also I've been using Outlook 365. Now I've switched cached mode. its running as online mode. There is no any issue. So I can't see hidden mailbox inside GAL.  very strange because I have reconfigured outlook profile. still same issue in cache mode.