Migrating a Win 2012 RDS environment to Win 2022

Mike Leone

Jun 10, 2024, 3:12:35 PMJun 10
to NTSysAdmin
I know there is no upgrade path, and I need to install new. OK.
Licenses - I have seen posts that say the RDS licenses I have (for Win 2012) can ONLY be used for a Win 2012 environment. I can just spin up a new RDS License Broker, but I *CAN'T* go to my existing RD Licensing Manager, and try and move those licenses to a new Win 2022 licensing server.

Correct?

So I would need to buy RDS CALs, and install them onto my new Win 2022 License Server. And any new Win 2022 RDS servers I make (Connection Broker, Session Hosts, etc) would need to look to this new server.

So I am running RD Licensing Manager on the old Win 2012 server. Do I tell *that* to connect to a new server (the Win 2022 license server)? Or do I just leave this her

I can run 2 license servers? Each with RDS CALs for a different OS. That's OK?

--

Mike. Leone, <mailto:tur...@mike-leone.com>

Henry Awad

Jun 10, 2024, 6:46:08 PMJun 10
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Do you have open volume or perpetual licenses? If you have open volume then you should be able to get 2022 CALs as part of your agreement. If not, then you need to purchase 2022 RDS CALs and install them on a new 2022 server (could be 2019 but why use an older version that you will eventually have to upgrade). You definitely can have multiple licensing servers running at the same time. It's unfortunate that Microsoft hasn't added RDS licensing to be stored in AD like many of their other products. You could use your new connection broker as your licensing server if it's not internet facing (which it should never be).

Mike Leone

Jun 10, 2024, 6:56:13 PMJun 10
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Beats me, I let my boss handle licensing. LOL I asked him to check ...

Mike. Leone, <mailto:tur...@mike-leone.com>

Henry Awad

Jun 10, 2024, 7:01:11 PMJun 10
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
If you make yearly payments then you have aopen volume (or some equivalent to it) and as long as your CALs are on it then you should be able to get new ones. He can give you read only access to the licensing portal so you can retrieve the license keys.

Bruce Roberts

Jun 11, 2024, 12:39:54 PMJun 11
to ntsysadmin
You should build it all new - greenfield on your new W2022 servers.
You can put the license server for W2022 RDS CAL on an existing server if you like to consolidate things like that (license server and gateway on same VM)  - depends on the size of your overall deployment 20 users, 200 users, 2000 users?
The pointer for each session host server will then point to this "new" server hosting the W2022 RDS CAL's - you reference each one of them either manually or via a GPO. local security or group policy settings. open gpedit.msc Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing
If you are buying new RDS CAL's perhaps - be sure to know the type User or Device when you order (I've always picked user). If your RDS licenses are under maintenance then you would have entitlement thru that license portal.

Mike Leone

Jun 11, 2024, 12:50:34 PMJun 11
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 12:39 PM Bruce Roberts <brucerob...@gmail.com> wrote:
You should build it all new - greenfield on your new W2022 servers.
You can put the license server for W2022 RDS CAL on an existing server if you like to consolidate things like that (license server and gateway on same VM)  - depends on the size of your overall deployment 20 users, 200 users, 2000 users?

In my case, maybe ... 80? I currently have 150, with 112 issued, according to the License Manager on the Win 2012.

I have an existing license server for the Win 2012 RDS environment, but it will go away, with the rest of that environment. So no consolidating, at least not on that server. I'll jusr put the License manager/Connection Broker/Web Access roles all on 1 server. Then make 3 session hosts. That's what I have now.

The pointer for each session host server will then point to this "new" server hosting the W2022 RDS CAL's - you reference each one of them either manually or via a GPO. local security or group policy settings. open gpedit.msc Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

 I'm not setting that now (not by a central GPO, anyway). I probably will, for the new Win 2022 servers - I'll make a new GPO just for them, following my existing GPO (loopback, etc).