Changing domain password policy - some questions before

Mike Leone

Jun 18, 2024, 1:08:51 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to NTSysAdmin
So our default domain password policy is .... insufficently sane ... so we're thinking of implementing something more sane. You know, change every 120 days, complexity, etc.

Obviously I don't want this to apply to service accounts, and some others, such as domain admin, etc.

Q: do I *just* check "Password Never Expires" on those accounts? Is that enough? OR do I need to make a Fine Grained Password Policy that applies to those accounts? I don't see a similar option on the Password Settings fo the Fine Grained Password Policy. Or is there a better way?

I don't want those accounts passwords to change automatically. I wouldn't want SQL server to stop running, because the account password expired and wasn't changed (since no one interactively logs in as that account), etc.

I'm sure I will have more questions, as we ruminate further ...

Thanks!

--

Mike. Leone, <mailto:tur...@mike-leone.com>

Henry Awad

Jun 18, 2024, 1:25:42 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
With Server 2008 and newer versions, you can specify different password policies to different OUs. So I would recommend setting up your default domain password policy and apply it to all the users OUs except one where you put all your other accounts and apply a different policy to that OU. If you have a password management system like Secret Server or CyberArk, I recommend using them to create complex passwords for your service accounts and other elevated privilege accounts like Domain Admin.

Henry Awad
Principal Engineer
Technology Services
The Catholic University of America

Brian Illner

Jun 18, 2024, 1:30:06 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

It would also be worth investigating the use of Managed Service Accounts and gMSA’s.

Group Managed Service Accounts Overview | Microsoft Learn

These could possibly take the place of many of your static AD User accounts used for services.

BRIAN ILLNER

Senior Systems Administrator

864.250.9227 Office

864.679.2537 Fax

Canal Insurance Company

101 N. Main Street, Suite 400

Greenville, SC 29601

Jun 18, 2024, 1:30:42 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Selecting "Password never expires" on an account excludes it from the
password policy.

Excluding Domain Admins and other highly privileged accounts from the
Domain password policy is acceptable, as long as their passwords are
not marked to never expire, and there's a more restrictive policy in
place using an FGPP.

Excluding service accounts by marking their passwords to never expire
is common practice, but if possible you should migrate them to gMSAs,
and if not possible make sure you have some sort of system to rotate
them regularly.

Kurt

Philip Elder

Jun 18, 2024, 1:56:52 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
My add to this is to have MFA/2FA on all servers. Period.

No MFA/2FA approval? Then no access.

Philip Elder MCTS
Senior Technical Architect
Microsoft High Availability MVP
E-mail: Phili...@mpecsinc.ca
Phone: +1 (780) 458-2028
Web: www.mpecsinc.com
Blog: blog.mpecsinc.com
Twitter: Twitter.com/MPECSInc
Skype: MPECSInc.

Jun 18, 2024, 3:36:23 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
I'd take a look at the following article. This is now currently deployed to the Domain.

Kurt Buff

Jun 18, 2024, 3:39:57 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious - how do you propose to apply MFA to WMI/WinRM/RSAT tools access?

Duo works great for console access (RDP, VMware remote console, direct
KVM), but doesn't have a lot to offer for other kinds of access.

Kurt
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ntsysadmin/180904635eed422aa298072d08644d80%40MPECSInc.Ca.

Henry Awad

Jun 18, 2024, 3:59:55 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest using a jump server that admins or other users with elevated privileges use to RDP into it and have 2FA/MFA such as DUO setup in addition to VPN. Another option is using a PAM system that you access with 2FA/MFA and then launched whatever connections from the PAM server. They also have APIs you can use with the PAM server to be able to authenticate without including the password in your code or script.

Philip Elder

Jun 18, 2024, 4:38:40 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
One of our contractors uses a product called White Cloud to do that very thing.

I get a little nervous around multiple "security" products running on one OS because of them stepping over themselves but it does work.

The catch: Once in past DUO I can kill WC so that I can actually work. ;0)
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ntsysadmin/CADy1Ce5V_aVxvoHs8q7o6xGbf2Pidn3M9ip5as%3DZgKSsLhG6eA%40mail.gmail.com.

Kurt Buff

Jun 18, 2024, 5:43:27 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
That's interesting - I looked at the White Cloud web site, and it
looks like they're trying to make a better AppLocker, and they don't
mention MFA at all.

Possibly a good product, but it doesn't look like that covers MFA requirements.

Kurt
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ntsysadmin/a1d7d7f89b2f4c68a7bc010c2b0c14aa%40MPECSInc.Ca.

Philip Elder

Jun 18, 2024, 6:22:02 PM (3 days ago) Jun 18
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Ah, no. It covers the other requirements mentioned. Combined with DUO we have all of the bases covered.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ntsysadmin/CADy1Ce69LMRVmzqpxHg9BoD1UtNEVa4hvrX%3D_g8R56FMjCtcdA%40mail.gmail.com.