Domain controller issue

Lance Soller

Jun 3, 2024, 9:32:54 AMJun 3
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have an issue with 1 domain controller. Please see below the DCDIAG errors I am getting

All looks correct except for these major errors

 Running enterprise tests on : domain.local
      Starting test: LocatorCheck
         Warning: DcGetDcName(GC_SERVER_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1707
         A Global Catalog Server could not be located - All GC's are down.
         Warning: DcGetDcName(PDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1707
         A Primary Domain Controller could not be located.
         The server holding the PDC role is down.
         Warning: DcGetDcName(TIME_SERVER) call failed, error 1707
         A Time Server could not be located.
         The server holding the PDC role is down.
         Warning: DcGetDcName(GOOD_TIME_SERVER_PREFERRED) call failed, error 1707
         A Good Time Server could not be located.
         Warning: DcGetDcName(KDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1707
         A KDC could not be located - All the KDCs are down.
         ......................... domain.local failed test LocatorCheck
      Starting test: Intersite
         ......................... domain.local passed test Intersite

--

Thank You,

Lance Soller

Tristate Computers, Inc.

718-256-1800 x 205

la...@TristateComputers.net

“An issue without a ticket is an issue that never happened”

Michael B. Smith

Jun 3, 2024, 9:38:46 AMJun 3
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

1707 means “The network address is invalid.”

I’d be checking DNS.

Lance Soller

Jun 3, 2024, 10:06:52 AMJun 3
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
all pings correctly and resolves so don't thin it's DNS

Aakash Shah

Jun 3, 2024, 3:11:59 PMJun 3
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

No personal experience with this specific error, but it could be missing SRV records. My guess would be to check on this since it mentions Global Catalog:

_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.<domain FQDN>

If so, check the DNS configuration on the PDC and then restart the Netlogon service so it can recreate the SRV records. Consider running a Best Practices Analyzer in “AD DS” and “DNS” from Server Manager since this may help point out misconfigurations too.

-Aakash Shah

Philip Elder

Jun 3, 2024, 5:56:12 PMJun 3
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

Did you test the DNS AD GUID for resolution?

Philip Elder MCTS

Senior Technical Architect

Microsoft High Availability MVP

E-mail: Phili...@mpecsinc.ca

Phone: +1 (780) 458-2028

Web: www.mpecsinc.com

Blog: blog.mpecsinc.com

Twitter: Twitter.com/MPECSInc

Skype: MPECSInc.

Please note: Although we may sometimes respond to email, text and phone calls instantly at all hours of the day, our regular business hours are 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday thru Friday.

all pings correctly and resolves so don't thin it's DNS

Lance Soller

Jun 4, 2024, 7:53:42 AMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
The server had CFN added to its name