Official List of Removals and Deprecations in Server 2025

Michael B. Smith

Jun 4, 2024, 10:19:44 AMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

Posted yesterday. No surprises, based on the preview releases, but some definite pain is coming.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/removed-deprecated-features-windows-server-2025

jmcnamara

Jun 4, 2024, 10:21:35 AMJun 4
to ntsysadmin
Damn, what did SMTP server do to anyone?

I hope those admins finally got cloud friendly MFPs 😔
On Tue, June 4 2024 at 7:19 AM Michael B. Smith <mic...@smithcons.com> wrote:

Posted yesterday. No surprises, based on the preview releases, but some definite pain is coming.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/removed-deprecated-features-windows-server-2025

IMPORTANT WARNING:

The information contained in this transmission is confidential and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.

This document may contain protected health information. If you are not the recipient, pursuant to HIPAA, please notify our office at 877-739-7481 Opt. 2 and destroy the document(s) immediately.

Recipient acknowledges and agrees that Gemini Duplication, Inc. is not engaged in the practice of law or the provision of legal services, and that recipient alone is completely and independently responsible for its own legal rights and obligations.

Michael B. Smith

Jun 4, 2024, 10:29:45 AMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

They simply didn’t want to update 20 year old code anymore to support TLS 1.3 et. al.

Henry Awad

Jun 4, 2024, 10:41:40 AMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
All the depreciations are welcomed and long time coming for improved security.

There will be some people who will complain about one of the items being deprecated but they can't have it both ways. Either you want to continue to use legacy features or you want improved security. Furthermore, Microsoft has given plenty of notice about most of these features being deprecated so people had enough time to move off of them.

Now we have other security headaches from Microsoft (and other vendors) to deal with like Recall.

Heaton, Joseph@Wildlife

Jun 4, 2024, 11:32:41 AMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

The SMTP relay will be something we have to find an alternative to.

Jun 4, 2024, 12:35:58 PMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
FreeBSD with Postfix should work just fine.

Kurt
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ntsysadmin/SJ0PR09MB66862E8BBBF35D657E8B9FC7AAF82%40SJ0PR09MB6686.namprd09.prod.outlook.com.

Glen Johnson

Jun 4, 2024, 1:16:41 PMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Hmail works great and free.

Jun 4, 2024, 2:31:00 PMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Postfix is one of the most popular, versatile, efficient and secure mail server that you can probably find.

[ https://www.postfix.org/ ]

Better even: M. W. Lucas is working on a book to explain how to use it (along plenty of other piece of software and protocols related to email)

[ https://mwl.io/archives/23601 ]

Sincerely,

--

Xavier Belanger

IT Security Architect | CISSP | Office of Information Security

University of North Carolina Wilmington

Jun 4, 2024, 3:34:19 PMJun 4
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
O'Reilly has (had?) a book on Postfix, but it's ancient, though it
should still be useful.

I used it in conjunction with setting up my first spam filter - Maia
Mailguard, probably 15-18 years ago.

Kurt