Teams add-in for Outlook breaking from my Classic Teams to New Teams

selahattin şadoğlu

Oct 18, 2023, 11:33:42 AM10/18/23
to ntsysadmin
Hi,

I'm aware I can fix this on an individual basis by manually running the regsrv32 command to register the appropriate Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll for the version and architecture of the Office install and ensuing the reg entries for its load behaviour are set.

How can we fix this permanently so our Helpdesk is not constantly fielding calls about it?

Here is my environment:

Win11 & Office 2019 Pro Plus

reg file :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TeamsAddin.FastConnect]
"Description"="Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office"
"FriendlyName"="Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

my script :

#Force close Microsoft Outlook/Teams
#Stop-Process -Name "Outlook" -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
#Stop-Process -Name "Teams" -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.Path -like "*outlook*"} | Stop-Process -Force
Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.Path -like "*teams*"} | Stop-Process -Force

#Detect Microsoft Teams version/folder
$RootFolder = "$env:LOCALAPPDATA\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin"

$FolderName = (Get-ChildItem -Path $RootFolder |
Where-Object { $_.PSIsContainer } |
Sort-Object |
Select-Object -Last 1).Name
$Path = Join-Path $RootFolder $FolderName

#Registered Teams Dll Files
& $env:SystemRoot\System32\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user $Path\x64\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll
& $env:SystemRoot\System32\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user $Path\x86\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll

exit $LASTEXITCODE

thanks,

Michael B. Smith

Oct 18, 2023, 11:37:52 AM10/18/23
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

Run it as part of the installation routing or push a script. Which you already know how to do. 😊

maxcoder1

Oct 18, 2023, 4:12:06 PM10/18/23
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
thanks again man. btw , do you have any experience new Teams client deployment? if so ,   how did you deploy this?

Perisa, Nik

Oct 18, 2023, 5:02:22 PM10/18/23
to ntsysadmin

when you say 'breaking', what are the symptoms? We are currently in a pilot phase and have the toggle switch between the old and new Teams. A handful of people have found that when using the new Teams, if they setup a new Outlook meeting invitation, the Teams meeting link doesn't populate in the body of the invite. If they switch to the old Teams, the invitation generates the Teams links fine

Oct 18, 2023, 7:01:06 PM10/18/23
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

maxcoder1

Oct 19, 2023, 11:00:06 AM10/19/23
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nik,

As summary , I have workflow like below.

1.  I will set Teams Update policy setting as "Use new Teams client" under new policy.

2. Once the policy is defined, I will assign it to a user.

3. Users will switch to new Teams via popup notification.

4. Lastly , after all the tests have been successful , I will remove old teams installer like below.

$UninstallGUID = (Get-Package -Providername Msi -name "Teams Machine-Wide Installer").FastPackageReference

Start-Process -FilePath "msiexec.exe" -ArgumentList "/X $UninstallGUID /quiet" -Wait

The problem starts here.

When installed both old and new teams client , there are 2 folders like below.  if I remove old teams wide installer  then its removing called 1.0.23241.2.

naturally breaking the add-in because of  it is already registered here in outlook.

I am registering DLL under new addin folder again.

C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.23241.2  ->> old teams wide installer
 C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.23.24801  ->> new teams installer

I run the following script to solve my problem.

[...]

Perisa, Nik

Nov 1, 2023, 5:38:12 PM11/1/23
to ntsysadmin

going back to do this, we have MS APPS 365 2308 and Win 10 and running your commands dont seem to do the trick in our setup. Even still, this is something MS really needs to address given they are close to going live with the new version

The only way we seem to get the add-in to work is to toggle Teams back to the old version, close and re-launch outlook and new meetings have the Teams links in the body of the email

We can then toggle back to the new Teams as long as we dont close outlook.  As soon as you exit outlook and open again, the Teams addin is present but doesnt actually generate a teams link in the body of the meeting request...

I've seen some suggestions where people had to uninstall Office and re-install just to get this to work...

EXTERNAL SENDER: Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.
EXPÉDITEUR EXTERNE: Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe à moins qu’ils ne proviennent d’un expéditeur fiable, ou que vous ayez l'assurance que le contenu provient d'une source sûre.

Message has been deleted