Laptops off-site delays through VPN

1 view

Denes, Laszlo

May 19, 2021, 10:23:30 AM5/19/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com, Denes, Laszlo

Quick question as we have never done this until now.

We have issued new HP laptops to users with VPN installed and the process for them to connect back to us is

Power on system and enter encryption challenge and load o/s

Log into Wi-Fi (home network or hotspot somewhere).

Launch VPN client and connect to company.

Wait 30 seconds so system can register in AD properly.

Then log into W10 (20H2).

At this point the user logon process runs and eventually all their drives (through GPO) connect etc. but their redirected folders (everything points at server share/users) don’t work, nor do any of them icon links to folders and the user has to wait about 1 minute before the Cisco VPN icon pop’s up and then they can open the Cocuments and refresh their desktop and everything is there.

Just making sure that I am not missing anything as I cannot account for the delay between logon in to AD and folder redirection working.

Any thoughts? How do others handle laptops?

MUCHO THANKS IN ADVNACE J

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

The Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre

650 Church Street, Toronto, ON M4Y 2G5

t: 416-925-2251 ext. 214

f: 416-925-3211

lde...@torontograce.org

www.torontograce.org

cid:image004.png@01D3936C.4940F060 cid:image006.png@01D3936C.4940F060 cid:image008.png@01D3936C.4940F060

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information and is intended for use only by the individual to whom it is specifically addressed (or those responsible for the delivery of the message to such person). Any distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us. Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions about this message please contact the Information Systems Department, Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre, 650 Church St., Toronto, ON M4Y 2G5. Phone: (416) 925-2251

Michael B. Smith

May 19, 2021, 10:44:06 AM5/19/21
to ntsys...@googlegroups.com

NTExchange to BCC and NTSysadmin to To

I see this same thing with clients using Global Protect.

The only way around it is a VPN that works like MSFT’s DirectAccess or AlwaysOn VPN – the VPN starts with a machine tunnel when the computer boots.