Fat Outlook client dying?

Michael B. Smith

Oct 13, 2022, 8:49:24 PM10/13/22

Microsoft suggests that the traditional Outlook client will be dying in a couple of years:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/video-hub/explore-in-detail-the-new-outlook-for-windows/ba-p/3651824

Thanks.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Managing Consultant

Smith Consulting, LLC

Kurt Buff

Oct 13, 2022, 8:59:15 PM10/13/22
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com
Will the preview pane display in text-only mode? Will we have the flexibility of the rules we have now?

Those and other questions come to mind...

Kurt

Michael B. Smith

Oct 13, 2022, 9:07:51 PM10/13/22
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

I have a $h1t-ton of questions – although I admit I ignored my invitation to join the alpha and beta.

I’m a major power user. There is no way I could even pretend to work without many of the features of the fat client.

I have dozen of rules, even excluding my couple of dozen kill file entries, I’ve got 8 opened mailboxes (some exchange, some imap, one pop), I use send-from and send-as extensively, etc. etc.

<sigh>

Thanks.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Managing Consultant

Smith Consulting, LLC

Kurt Buff

Oct 13, 2022, 9:13:25 PM10/13/22
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com
It seems that these "improvements" are often/usually about making it easier for MSFT rather than their customers...

Kurt

Jim Kennedy

Oct 14, 2022, 9:24:10 AM10/14/22
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

They will get my traditional Outlook from me when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Kurt Buff

Oct 14, 2022, 3:09:56 PM10/14/22
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com
One little protocol change, and poof....

Kurt

Mark Hall

Oct 15, 2022, 4:59:02 PM10/15/22
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com
I've been using the Beta version of Outlook for a while - honestly, aside from the know limitations I've found it fine so far; having some of the features available in web version on the desktop is useful. I think the complete lack of support for COM plug ins is going to be the biggest issue for us with our clients.