Last hybrid exchange server

Jim Kennedy

Jun 27, 2024, 11:02:14 AMJun 27
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Been out of the loop for awhile on Exchange. Helping some folks out on their environment.

Hybrid Exchange. On Prem AD syncing to Azure via a DC. All mailboxes are in O365.

What are the pluses/minuses/general opinions for taking out the last on prem Exchange server. From what I am reading you don’t uninstall Exchange you just turn it off? But then modifying Exchange attributes becomes a problem?

Jim

Michael B. Smith

Jun 27, 2024, 11:07:14 AMJun 27
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

There is a process you have to follow; but yes – you still have to have a “management tools only” install somewhere that permits you to modify Exchange-related attributes. Otherwise, you are limited to the AD cmdlets/LDP/adsiedit.

And you do not remove the last Exchange server (that causes the clearing of all Exchange attributes), you just turn it off.

Since a hybrid-only server is VERY low impact (you can get by with 4 vCPUs and 16 GB RAM), I recommend you leave that server in place.

Michael B. Smith

Jun 27, 2024, 11:09:14 AMJun 27
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Just to clarify – the “management tools only” install is the Exchange PowerShell cmdlets. Nothing else.

Jim Kennedy

Jun 27, 2024, 11:15:04 AMJun 27
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Thank you sir, this was where I was leaning towards.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ntexchange/216e52f243e54bf39096d9b6dfdc2cd2%40smithcons.com.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Denes, Laszlo

Jul 3, 2024, 7:17:03 AM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

We are looking at a similar situation. We have 2 x Exchange 2013 (with DAG) that are turned off right now as we moved to 365 (800 mailboxes or so) and installed a 2019 Exchange (no DB) just so we can administer online Exchange with GUI.

We are also looking at how to get rid of the 2 x 2013 but for the time being keeping the 2019 as it is merely an Exchange Admin server.

Here is some of the research I have done (and also thanks to suggestions here before).

My understanding is that best way is to uninstall Exchange properly to remove it from environment.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/decommissioning-exchange-server-2013/ba-p/3613793

https://www.easy365manager.com/decommission-last-exchange-server-after-migration-to-office-365/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/Exchange/manage-hybrid-exchange-recipients-with-management-tools

https://www.datarepairtools.com/blog/steps-to-decommission-exchange-server-2013/

https://www.techtarget.com/searchwindowsserver/tip/Follow-these-steps-to-remove-the-last-Exchange-Server

https://www.systoolsgroup.com/updates/decommission-exchange-2013-after-2019-migration/

https://www.reddit.com/r/exchangeserver/comments/wfwt1p/where_to_start_with_decommissioning_old_exchange/

https://www.systoolsgroup.com/updates/decommissioning-exchange-server-2013/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slmDf9G50o4&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWarMoBaxg

Thank you in advance for your time.

Laszlo

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

t: ext. 214

lde...@torontograce.org

Jul 3, 2024, 7:19:45 AM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

So (if I got this right from past chats and reading)

  1. Uninstall and remove any existing Exchange environment (our example 2 x 2013 and DAG) through proper process on those servers.
  2. Do not touch any existing hybrid (administer only – no DB) Exchange (in my case the 2019)
  3. Decommission (demote from AD once Exchange 2013 uninstalled) the Exchange servers.

Right?!?! LOL!

Thank you in advance for your time.

Laszlo

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

t: ext. 214

lde...@torontograce.org

Denes, Laszlo

Jul 3, 2024, 7:20:36 AM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

We have a GUI and the Exchange Powershell.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Laszlo

Laszlo Denes

Technical Analyst Servers

Information Systems

t: ext. 214

lde...@torontograce.org

Michael B. Smith

Jul 3, 2024, 8:21:58 AM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

If you used “move mailbox” to migrate to the cloud, and are using Azure AD Connect (Entra ID Connect), actually uninstalling/removing the last Exchange server will put you in a WORLD of pain.

If, on the other hand, you used a third-party tool (such as MigrationWiz) to migrate mailboxes to the cloud, and you also migrated distribution lists and mail-enabled security groups, you are probably fine.

Jul 4, 2024, 1:02:50 AM (13 days ago) Jul 4
to ntexchange
Hi,

you should take care of arbitration mailboxes and move them to Exchange 2019 DB's before deleting that DB's on Exchange 2013.

Denes, Laszlo

Jul 5, 2024, 8:12:37 PM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Understood and agreed. BTW DB is on 365 … 2019 onprem Exch is only for GUI tools and PS to admin 365 online