Outlook Search Broken

Tim Trice

Apr 27, 2021, 10:16:50 AM4/27/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Sorry if this has already been covered, but we are starting to get more and more reports of Outlook search functionality on desktops not returning complete results. The searches on phones show complete results, so I think it’s something related to the desktop software itself. I’ve rebuilt indexing, repaired office, all the common things and nothing seems to help. Anyone else experienced this and found a fix that works?

We are on-prem Exchange 2019 if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Timothy P. Trice

Network Engineer  - City of Madisonville Kentucky

77 North Main Street, Madisonville KY 42431

Telephone 270.824.2102x204    Cell 270.836.2009

ttr...@madisonvillegov.com www.madisonvilleliving.com

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.

Mark Hall

Apr 27, 2021, 11:50:27 AM4/27/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim,

What version of Outlook are the users using, and are they running in Cache Mode?

Thanks,

Mark

Tim Trice

Apr 27, 2021, 12:35:57 PM4/27/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

I’m running 2019, but we have seen it with some 2016 as well I think.

I just checked, and yes, I have Cached Mode turned on (I assume that’s by default).

Thanks,

Timothy P. Trice / Network Engineer / City of Madisonville Kentucky / ttr...@madisonvillegov.com / Cell 270.836.2009

Perisa, Nik

Apr 27, 2021, 4:43:41 PM4/27/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

i know its not a solution but i hate the updated search feature. I tend use to ctrl+shift+f and get the old style search. Could be used as a workaround i guess

Apr 28, 2021, 7:58:17 AM4/28/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

This is widely reported on both 2016 and 2019 after the last CU. MSFT is aware. I would expect to see a fix in the next CU (I have no inside information, just an expectation).

Apr 28, 2021, 9:37:41 AM4/28/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Yea, I found if we forced search to “All Mailboxes” it would search locally and was a decent work-around.

I also found a service on the server that had been set to disabled, and after I started it and set it back to Automatic it appears to be updating server indexes.

Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller was the service I had to restart.

Thanks,

Timothy P. Trice / Network Engineer / City of Madisonville Kentucky / ttr...@madisonvillegov.com / Cell 270.836.2009

Mark Hall

Apr 28, 2021, 3:09:31 PM4/28/21
to ntexc...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for my late reply – we’ve seen this after moving a client from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019. All clients on Outlook 2016. We found that using Outlook in Online mode would search properly, but performance would be awful. We’re going to be testing Outlook 2019 to see if it improves at all.