News, 1/31/23

Angeline Binick

Jan 31, 2023, 5:54:16 PM1/31/23
to nsvrc...@googlegroups.com, Angeline Binick
I.     GLOBAL NEWS

II.    REGIONAL NEWS

III.   MEDICAL

IV.   SEXUAL HARASSMENT

V.    ARMED CONFLICT

VI.   CLERGY ABUSE
VII.  CASE STORIES
VIII. COMMENTARY

GLOBAL NEWS

Kenya: Sexual and Gender Based Violence Courts to Be Rolled Out Across the Country, CJ Koome Says
https://allafrica.com/stories/202301300409.html

Canada: Report finds that L'Arche co-founder Jean Vanier sexually abused 25 women
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/jean-vanier-sexual-abuse-women-1.6731500

Australia: Whistleblower bill excluding sexual harassment complaints from protection goes too far, Greens senator says
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/30/whistleblower-bill-excluding-sexual-harassment-complaints-from-protection-goes-too-far-greens-senator-says

REGIONAL NEWS

Decorated EMS leader in Cumberland County charged with sex crimes involving trainee
https://www.pennlive.com/crime/2023/01/decorated-ems-leader-charged-with-sex-crimes-involving-trainee.html

MEDICAL

Canada: Vitalité postpones sexual assault examiner training when not enough nurses sign up
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/sexual-assault-nurse-examiner-training-postponed-vitalite-new-brunswick-1.6730919

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

UK: Dorset and Wiltshire firefighters ‘photographed female crash victims’
Several women in fire service also claim to have been sexually harassed by colleagues
(Trigger warning)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/31/dorset-wiltshire-firefighters-accused-in-itn-news-report-over-images-of-female-crash-victims

ARMED CONFLICT

CLERGY ABUSE

Australia: Ribbons for sex abuse survivors make statement at Perth church ahead of Cardinal Pell funeral
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-31/wa-sex-abuse-survivors-public-statement-george-pell-funeral/101913258

CASE STORIES

Chicago prosecutor will drop sexual abuse charges against Kelly
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64471490

COMMENTARY

#MeToo, Still
Five years after I went public with my #MeToo experiences in the restaurant industry, has anything really changed?
https://www.eater.com/23578750/metoo-restaurant-industry-whats-changed