News, 5/6/22

Angeline Binick

May 6, 2022, 4:45:04 PM5/6/22
to nsvrc...@googlegroups.com, Angeline Binick

I.          GLOBAL NEWS

II.         REGIONAL NEWS
III.
SEXUAL HARASSMENT

IV.        CRIMINAL JUSTICE

V.         LGBTQ

VI.        ARMED CONFLICT

VII.       CHILD MARRIAGE
VIII.      SEXUAL ABUSE BY PROFESSIONALS

IX.        CASE STORIES
X.         COMMENTARY

GLOBAL NEWS

Australia: Child protection reform manager tells Tasmania's commission of inquiry that out-of-home care system is broken

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-06/tas-commission-of-inquiry-social-worker-sonya-enkelmann/101037924

Canada: As 8 women prepare to sue over alleged RNC sex assaults, hurdles may be emerging

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/rnc-sex-assault-lawsuit-1.6442712

US, Canada commemorate missing and murdered Indigenous women

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/5/us-canada-commemorate-missing-and-murdered-indigenous-women

REGIONAL NEWS

What they wore: Clothes spotlight sex abuse in Amish, others

https://apnews.com/article/religion-pennsylvania-sexual-abuse-by-clergy-assault-lancaster-0e97364f986c9b9fffaed44520fc2b1f

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

Keira Knightley, Naomie Harris Voice Support for Independent UK Body to Tackle Harassment, Bullying in Entertainment

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/times-up-u-k-independent-body-1235258935/

Canada: Sexual harassment and bullying claims against B.C. doctor lead to legal fight with national body

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sexual-harassment-and-bullying-claims-against-b-c-doctor-lead-to-legal-fight-with-national-body-1.6443632

CRIMINAL JUSTICE

Texas: Lack of communication between child welfare and juvenile justice systems hurts foster kids, court monitors say

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/04/texas-foster-care-the-refuge/

LGBTQ

UK: Rape crisis center Survivors’ Network sued for helping trans people

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/05/06/survivors-network-rape-crisis-centre-trans-sued-equality-act/

ARMED CONFLICT

Canada to investigate sexual violence against women in Ukraine as war crimes

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canada-to-investigate-sexual-violence-against-women-in-ukraine-as-war/

CHILD MARRIAGE

UK aid cuts have forced 40,000 Syrian children out of school, charity says

Funding for 133 schools run by Syria Relief ended on 30 April, leaving pupils at risk of child labor and early marriage.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/may/05/uk-aid-cuts-have-forced-40000-syrian-children-out-of-school-charity-says

SEXUAL ABUSE BY PROFESSIONALS

New Hampshire: Lawmakers approve $100M fund for youth center abuse victims

https://apnews.com/article/business-manchester-new-hampshire-sexual-abuse-e0f908bf62fd85d377597f3738a54b9f

CASE STORIES

Sobbing Amber Heard accuses Johnny Depp of sexual assault

(Trigger warning)

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/amber-heard-return-stand-defamation-battle-with-johnny-depp-2022-05-05/

COMMENTARY

‘I didn’t believe stories of atrocities in Ukraine. But then I saw the photos’

(Trigger warning)

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/may/06/ukraine-photos-poland-border-refugees-rape-atrocities