LGBTQ News, 4/18/22

Angeline Binick

Apr 18, 2022, 8:32:49 PM4/18/22
to nsvrc-lg...@googlegroups.com, Angeline Binick
I.          GLOBAL NEWS

II.         CRIME

III.        POLICY / LEGISLATION

IV.        PRO-LGBTQ ADVOCACY

V.         ANTI-LGBTQ ACTIVISM

VI.        HEALTH

VII.       HATE CRIMES
VIII.      ARTS & CULTURE

IX.        COMMENTARY

GLOBAL NEWS

Canada: 'Resilient and resourceful' LBGTQ youth build community online amid COVID-19
(Video)
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/202302624386

Russia Adds Prominent Journalists, LGBT Activists To Registry Of 'Foreign Agents'
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-foreign-agents-journalists-lgbt/31805529.html

CRIME

Roommate charged in killing of gay advocate found in Florida landfill
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/roommate-charged-killing-gay-advocate-found-florida-landfill-rcna24807

California: Gay Cyclist Killed in Hit and Run During AIDS/LifeCycle Fundraiser
https://www.advocate.com/crime/2022/4/18/gay-cyclist-killed-hit-and-run-during-aidslifecycle-fundraiser

POLICY / LEGISLATION

Kansas governor vetoes bills on trans athletes, parental rights
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/kansas-governor-vetoes-bills-trans-athletes-parental-rights-rcna24806

PRO-LGBTQ ADVOCACY

New worldwide map highlights LGBTQ-owned businesses
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-community-voices/everywhere-queer-new-worldwide-map-highlights-lgbtq-owned-businesses-rcna23598

Inside 2022’s Center Dinner, Which Raised Over $1 Million for the LGTBQ Organization
https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/the-center-dinner-2022

ANTI-LGBTQ ACTIVISM

Nevada candidate John Carlo: Gays Are Unconstitutional Since They Can't Procreate
https://www.advocate.com/politics/2022/4/18/nev-politician-gays-are-unconstitutional-they-cant-procreate

South Africa: Musician Steve Hofmeyr compares LGBTQ relationships to bestiality
https://www.washingtonblade.com/2022/04/18/popular-south-africa-musician-compares-lgbtq-relationships-to-bestiality/

HEALTH

Rural, transgender populations face greater healthcare disparities, WVU research show
https://wvutoday.wvu.edu/stories/2022/04/18/rural-transgender-populations-face-greater-healthcare-disparities-wvu-research-show

Virginia: CDC awards LGBT Life Center $2M to combat HIV in Black, Latinx men
https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/cdc-awards-lgbt-life-center-2m-to-combat-hiv-in-black-latinx-men/

‘We are not a disease. We are worthy.’ Bronx’s transgender community fights for equal medical access
https://www.bxtimes.com/bronxs-transgender-community-fights/

Australia: Serious barriers in accessing health care for Canberra's transgender community highlighted in new study
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-16/transgender-gender-diverse-appropriate-healthcare-barriers/100994546

HATE CRIMES

Man arrested in connection with arson at LGBT nightclub in NYC
https://thehill.com/news/state-watch/3269213-man-arrested-in-connection-with-arson-at-lgbt-nightclub-in-nyc/

Georgia: 15 year old student allegedly attacked, four Loganville High students charged
(Trigger warning)
https://www.cbs46.com/2022/04/14/loganville-high-school-students-facing-charges-after-bathroom-incidents/

Australia: NSW Government Announces Special Commission of Inquiry into LGBT Hate Crimes
https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/nsw-government-announces-special-commission-of-inquiry-into-lgbt-hate-crimes/212040

Ireland: Two Queer Men Brutally Killed in Two Days, Suspect Arrested
https://www.advocate.com/crime/2022/4/15/two-queer-men-brutally-killed-two-days-suspect-arrested

Ireland: Hundreds gather in Sligo to honor murdered gay men
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/04/16/sligo-murders-aidan-moffitt-michael-snee-vigil/

Ireland: Rugby Player Suffered Brutal, Homophobic Attack Outside of Club
(Trigger warning)
https://www.advocate.com/crime/2022/4/18/rugby-player-suffered-brutal-homophobic-attack-outside-club

California: Gay parents called 'rapists' and 'pedophiles' in Amtrak incident
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/gay-parents-called-rapists-pedophiles-amtrak-incident-rcna24610

ARTS & CULTURE

Ohio: 'It's Okay to Be a Unicorn' author said school nixed his reading to students over 'gay agenda' fears
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2022/04/15/school-bans-book-reading-gay-agenda/7331823001/

COMMENTARY

How rebellious queer joy took on corporate camp
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/17/rebellious-queer-corporate-camp-mainstream

‘Jesus loves me and my boyfriend’: How one gay-friendly town repelled homophobic protesters
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/16/california-homophobic-protesters-guerneville

Yes, trans women can get prostate cancer too – but they’re being failed by the healthcare system
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/04/18/trans-prostate-cancer-symptoms-heather-peto/