LGBTQ News, 8/25/21

Angeline Binick

Aug 25, 2021, 5:43:32 PM8/25/21
to nsvrc-lg...@googlegroups.com, Angeline Binick
I.          GLOBAL NEWS

II.         REGIONAL NEWS

III.        ANTI-LGBTQ ACTIVISM

IV.        CAMPUS

V.         INCARCERATION

VI.        RELIGION

VII.       DISCRIMINATION

VIII.      MEDIA

IX.        COMMENTARY

GLOBAL NEWS

64 members of Congress urge US to evacuate LGBTQ Afghans
https://www.washingtonblade.com/2021/08/24/exclusive-64-members-of-congress-urge-us-to-evacuate-lgbtq-afghans/

India: HC asks Delhi government to respond to plea to ban sex-selective surgeries on intersex infants, kids
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/hc-asks-delhi-government-to-respond-to-plea-to-ban-sex-selective-surgeries-on-intersex-infants-kids/articleshow/85621018.cms

UK: School refusing to teach kids about LGBT+ lives should not be allowed to expand, says Ofsted
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/25/jewish-school-lgbt-issues-ofsted/

REGIONAL NEWS

ANTI-LGBTQ ACTIVISM

Wisconsin: Van Orden was irate over gay books display, says Prairie library worker
https://www.news8000.com/library-worker-candidate-was-irate-over-gay-books-display/

CAMPUS

California: Gender Affirming Closet gives free clothes to transgender, queer students
https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/inside-the-issues/2021/08/25/gender-affirming-closet-gives-free-clothes-to-transgender--queer-students

INCARCERATION

Transgender man sues Virginia corrections department over surgery denial
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/transgender-man-sues-virginia-corrections-department-surgery-denial-rcna1773

RELIGION

Grindr data threatens to out Vatican officials
A Catholic news site has claimed that there are “at least 16” Grindr users within the Vatican, sparking fears that high-ranking gay priests could soon be outed.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/25/grindr-vatican-catholic-gay-priests/

DISCRIMINATION

Colorado: Students stage mass walk-out after Christian school forced coach to resign for being gay
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/25/valor-christian-gay-volleyball-coach/

Colorado: A second coach at Valor Christian High School says she was pushed out after coming out as gay
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/25/valor-christian-high-school-denver-coach-gay/

MEDIA

UK: Media watchdog Ofcom slammed for cutting ties with Stonewall over ‘risk of perceived bias’
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/25/ofcom-stonewall-diversity-champions/

COMMENTARY

Once a rising star of the ‘ex-gay’ movement, Julie Rodgers speaks out against ‘conversion therapy’ in Netflix documentary: ‘I carry with me the scars.’
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-conversion-therapy-netflix-documentary-tt-0824-20210825-q3khblee2bbi3i7pqfuuc22l5a-story.html

South Africa: Johannesburg man reveals his ‘pray the gay away’ conversion therapy journey
https://www.mambaonline.com/2021/08/25/joburg-man-reveals-his-pray-the-gay-away-conversion-therapy-journey/

What Provincetown’s Gay Community Can Teach Us About Containing COVID
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/covid-delta-variant-provincetowns-gay-community-1214665/