Rust client library designation

Harpo Roeder

Aug 29, 2020, 5:08:33 PM8/29/20
to nsq-...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

The development of the Rust client library Tokio NSQ has now reached a point that it has substantial feature parity with other implementations.

I was wondering if it would be possible to receive an official designation, or what it might take to receive the blessing. I would love to put the effort into making this happen if community projects can be designated as such.

The package is available here: https://crates.io/crates/tokio-nsq
Documentation is available here: https://docs.rs/tokio-nsq/0.11.0/tokio_nsq/

The API documentation gives a fairly complete overview of capabilities. For example options shared by consumers and producers: https://docs.rs/tokio-nsq/0.11.0/tokio_nsq/struct.NSQConfigShared.html

Thanks!

Matt Reiferson

Aug 30, 2020, 6:24:10 PM8/30/20
to Harpo Roeder, nsq-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harpo,

That's exciting! I had some aspirations to write an "official" Rust NSQ client, to learn the language. Sadly, I haven't found the time.

We don't have any formal requirements on becoming an official client library, but off the top of my head, in addition to feature parity, I'd like to see production use (and the inevitable maturity that comes along with it). Do you have intentions to use it in production in the future?

Thanks,

Matt

Harpo Roeder

Sep 2, 2020, 11:43:09 PM9/2/20
to Matt Reiferson, nsq-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt.

That sounds like a very reasonable requirement! My employer is not using NSQ, I have the client running on a side project processing 1000 or so messages a day, but that is fairly trivial and I would not consider it a production setting.

I plan to keep supporting the library, and hopefully we can find some more examples of usage in the future.

Thanks!