Group communication between UEs

Miguel Olmos

Jan 21, 2017, 12:13:41 AM1/21/17
to ns-3-users
Hello everybody,

I have been working with OMNet++ and SimuLTE to create the following scenario:

1) Send an uplink message from one device to its serving eNodeB
2) The eNodeB relays the message to neighboring eNodeBs
3) The latter forwards the message to its served UEs using downlink transmissions

According to Giovanni Nardini's suggestion:

"Recently, we provided the possibility to add UDP/TCP apps at the eNodeB (see the ned file of the eNodeB). So, a possible approach could be implementing your own application that will run at the eNodeB. This application will receive messages from the UEs (UEs will need to send messages to the correct IP address/port of the eNodeB), then the application sends the message to the applications running at neighboring eNodeBs. Finally, the latter will do several copies of the message (one for each UE) and retransmits them to the UEs, using one downlink transmissions per UE."

Do NS-3 provides a framework to create that group communication scenario?

I am working on my master thesis trying to implement an algorithm to synchronize heterogeneous data (discrete and continuous), that is my main focus. I was expecting to only modify the way the UE and nodes order the messages they receive using logical mapping and with this, reduce the overhead. All of this, in the application layer. A new approach like the one cited by Giovanni could be an obstacle for my thesis.

Thanks and best regards.

Miguel Olmos