Test-bed with ns3 emulation

Mislav Findrik

Jul 28, 2014, 8:46:46 AM7/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am a new user to NS3 and I would like to ask for help regarding the
NS3 emulation capabilities. Specifically, in my test-bed I have the following set-up:

PC 1 (runs multiple process) <--> LAN <--> PC 2 (ns3 emulation) <--> LAN <--> PC 3 (runs one process that collects data sent from PC 1 processes)

Now, I am struggling to understand if it is possible to have processes running on PC 1 mapped to different nodes in ns3 emulation. I have read about
Tap Bridge devices (https://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.6/doxygen/group___tap_bridge_model.html), however, it seems they are only useful when
ns3 nodes are local devices/processes running on the same PC as ns3 emulation.

Is there any example of similar case I could use to start off?

Regards,
Mislav

Tommaso Pecorella

Jul 28, 2014, 3:24:47 PM7/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

no, it is not possible to do what you are asking. Simply because the architecture doesn't "fit". PC1 is a single node, and can't behave as multiple nodes.
Moreover, it is physically separated from PC2 (where the ns-3 emulation is), so it is not possible to bind PC1 to a "node" in PC2.

Please study a bit more the emulation documentation and clarify your scenario.

Cheers,

T.

Mislav Findrik

Jul 30, 2014, 6:54:24 AM7/30/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the answer Tommaso.

I came recently across the paper with the title "Limitations of Network Emulation with Single-Machine and Distributed ns-3", where similar set-up was elaborated.
It seems that I could have my scenario running in distributed fashion, just every process on PC 1 has to communicate to a corresponding node in ns-3 emulation (PC-2) via tap-tunnel.
So for each process I would need a taptunnel.

In the paper they used Virtual machines instead of processes, however, it is mentioned that
modifying sockets with SO_BINDTODEVICE would enable one to use application over a native
operating system.

Is this correct? Could somebody elaborate on this a bit more.

Message has been deleted

Konstantinos

Dec 15, 2016, 10:45:40 AM12/15/16
to ns-3-users
Dear Meenal,

Please do not spam the list and resurrect old posts.
Study the documentation and link already provided for examples e.g. https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/HOWTO_make_ns-3_interact_with_the_real_world

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 3:36:06 PM UTC, Meenal Chougule wrote:
Hi Mislav,

Can you please help me out with the emulation like this,

<Real computer host server>-----------------------<ns-3 / ns2- emulation>----------------------<Real computer host client>

I tried same scenario on ns-2 but no luck. It would be great if you help me out with this.

-Regards,
Meenal