The Wi-Fi modulation scheme in NS3

Goutal Abdelhak

May 25, 2024, 10:44:32 AMMay 25
to ns-3-users

Hello fellow NS3 users,

I hope this post finds you well. I'm currently working on a simulation project involving Wi-Fi communication in NS3 and am seeking guidance on locating the specific implementation of Wi-Fi modulation within the NS3 framework.

I've been exploring the NS3 documentation and source code, particularly examining the YansWifiPhy and YansWifiChannel classes, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact location where modulation occurs.

I understand that modulation is a crucial aspect of Wi-Fi communication, and I'm eager to gain a deeper understanding of how it's handled within NS3. Any insights or pointers towards the relevant code or documentation would be greatly appreciated.

To provide more context for my query, I'm particularly interested in understanding how different modulation schemes (e.g., BPSK, QPSK, OFDM) are implemented and how they are selected or configured within NS3 simulations.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to any helpful responses from the experienced NS3 community.

Tom Henderson

May 25, 2024, 11:04:41 AMMay 25
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, Goutal Abdelhak
In ns-3, modulation doesn't actually occur, as it might in a link-level simulator such as MATLAB WLAN Toolbox.  Instead, a modulation parameter is selected (such as Wi-Fi MCS 0), and the Wi-Fi PPDU is sent (unmodulated) to the receiver.  The receiver uses the selected Wi-Fi MCS and the received SINR to look up a probability of error for the frame, based on the appropriate error rate curve for the PHY configuration.  This process is explained more here:  https://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.41/models/html/wifi-design.html#errorratemodel
--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---