Setting Wi-Fi EDCA parameters (e.g. minCw) using Python

mark.ri...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 11:26:24 AM7/25/16
to ns-3-users
Hello,

I am new to ns-3.  I would like to run some 802.11 WLAN (Wi-Fi) simulations.
I am hoping to be able to use the Python bindings for this; I am rather weak
with C++.

I have managed to put something together, based on one of the examples, that
attempts to saturate the link, so that I can measure the throughput.  What I
have found is that the minCw parameter of the simulation seems to be set
incorrectly (it's set to 31 not 15), at least for EDCA (QoS) operation.

The following post appears to cover this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ns-3-users/TZ6ZftgIkvU/T_vSSIV6sIIJ
but I can't work out how to map this to Python.  I've tried various things,
but none of them have been successful in allowing me to set minCw to 15 for
the BE_EdcaTxopN queue on a given WifiNetDevice (or globally).  What is the
way to do this?

Also, the way it's supposed to work in 802.11 is that the AP advertises an
"EDCA Parameter Set" in the beacons it sends, which includes the minCw,
and the STA picks this up and uses it.  However, from looking at the pcap
output file from the simulation, it appears the AP does not include this
information in the beacons.  Is this a known limitation of the 802.11 MLME
modelling?

My apologies if anything above is a stupid question,  I have tried to read
the fine manuals (and searched this group), but I have not been able to find
answers.  If I've simply missed them, do just point me at what I've missed!

Thanks,

Mark