WaveNetDevice - PCAP trace does not show protocol packets

Vitor Lamela

Apr 11, 2018, 10:59:41 AM4/11/18
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone! I've been doing some experiments and measurements on WAVE and 802.11p on NS-3.  My script consists on a ONOFF application between 2 vehicles that are getting away from each other, while measuring throughput and other metrics. Also have a ping application running between those 2 vehicles.

 The problem is: I found out that when i use 802.11p device, the PCAP file registers each packet with the correct protocol (ICMP, ARP, UDP/TCP, etc).
 But, when i use the Wave Device, the pcap file only logs SNA,LLC and 802.11 protocol packets, only showing mac addresses instead of IP addresses. I don't understand why is that so, can someone clarify?
I've set the TxProfile and SchInfo correctly and there is communication, for sure. Just don't know why there is this difference.

Thanks in advance.
rssi_thrput.cc

Vitor Lamela

Apr 11, 2018, 11:09:38 AM4/11/18
to ns-3-users
In order to provide an example of the differences, i also attach 2 pcap files: 1 for the 802.11p device and other for the wave device.

rssi_thrput-80211p_ping.pcap
rssi_thrput-wave.pcap

Vitor Lamela

Apr 16, 2018, 5:08:17 AM4/16/18
to ns-3-users
Does anyone have any clue why this happens?

Vitor Lamela

May 2, 2018, 5:40:30 AM5/2/18
to ns-3-users
Any help please? Need to basically undestand the difference between 802.11p and WAVE, in terms of the pcap file. Basically i want to know how i can see the correct pcap trace form WAVE module on NS-3. It is not showing packets the same way as 802.11p, i don't understand why