regarding segmenting packets and storing in queues

shin...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2015, 10:17:44 AM1/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am trying to build a new module (NetDevice) that implements the functionality of a switch.
For the new module, it should

1. segment the packets -- are there any functions that is already there in ns3 to implement this functionality.
2. store in a queue. -- I went through the ns3 documentation and found different types of queues (Droptail, RED). Which one of these would you suggest.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Neels

Konstantinos

Jan 21, 2015, 10:41:43 AM1/21/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neels,

1) Yes, segmentation happens in several points. e.g. IP fragmentation.
2) It depends on you and the implementation of your module. I would recommend to leave it open for the user, e.g. use the abstract Queue class in your module and initialize it with one of the different types using the attribute system. Look at other NetDevices.

Regards,
K.

shin...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2015, 10:53:10 AM1/21/15