IEEE 802.15.4e

Pouya Esmaili

May 17, 2024, 10:00:11 AMMay 17
to ns-3-users
Hello everyone,

I'm new to ns3 and I'm trying to simulate a TSCH environment. I found lr-wpan implementation in the ns3 source code but I can't find anything related to TSCH. Maybe I'm missing some parameters?

I also found some mentions of TSCH in an old Current Development Page and a repository implementing it (I think they are connected). But it seems the changes in those commits were never merged.

Is there a simple solution to use TSCH in ns3? If not, can I use the old code? If the old code is deprecated, is it possible to reimplement the logic (maybe I can do it)?

Best regards

Tommaso Pecorella

May 18, 2024, 7:34:28 AMMay 18
to ns-3-users
Indeed, 802.15.4's TSCH has never been integrated in the main repository.

The old code has been not deprecated, it was never reviewed tho, so now it's "old", meaning that it would require some refactoring and changes to be applied to the latest ns-3. Nothing impossible, mind, just time-consuming.

You have basically two alternatives:
  1. Use the old code "as it is" with the ns-3 version it was developed for. No guarantees it will work as intended tho, and you'll miss any ns-3 feature added in the meantime. The repo you linked seems a "complete" ns-3 fork, so at least you won't need to figure out the ne-3 version you have to use. Moreover, a cons of this approach is that we won't be able to help with bugs or misbehaviors because we can't (at least I can't) run code this old - my compiler is picky.
  2. Get the old repo, check the changes in the lr-wpan module (hopefully they're just there), and try to integrate the code with ns-3-dev. Fix the changes (like Ptr comparisons to zero, etc.) and make it work. Not easy, but possible.
If you choose option 2, you could also do the following:
  • Get in touch with the original author and ask permission to initiate a merge request
  • Get in touch with the lr-wpan maintainers (https://ns-3.zulipchat.com is the best way) and discuss the design choices - if they're fine or they have suggestions
  • Create a merge request and have your name among the ns-3 contributors.
Personally, I wouldn't mind to have the code merged.