NS-3 as Network Share software

Matthew Thomas

Apr 10, 2015, 12:08:58 PM4/10/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I work in an education environment where software is usually hosted from a network share/ distributed file system.  I installed NS3 to the network share and tested it.  It worked as Read/Write but when I replicated and shared it ReadOnly the software would then fail.

//I ran this when the install was published ReadOnly
# /afs/cad/sw.common/ns-3.22/ns-3.22 ./waf --run hello-simulator

invalid lock file in /afs/cad.njit.edu/sw.common/ns-3.22/ns-3.22
The project was not configured: run "waf configure" first!

//I ran this test right after I installed (I was still in with read/write) and it worked.
# /afs/.cad/sw.common/ns-3.22/ns-3.22 ./waf --run hello-simulator

Waf: Entering directory `/afs/.cad.njit.edu/sw.common/ns-3.22/ns-3.22/build'
Waf: Leaving directory `/afs/.cad.njit.edu/sw.common/ns-3.22/ns-3.22/build'
'build' finished successfully (17.529s)
Hello Simulator

My question is, has anyone every done this configuration on a shared storage system like AFS.  How did you get around it?  Are there specific files/folders that require lock/write access?

-Thanks in advance for any help.
Matt

Tommaso Pecorella

Apr 10, 2015, 3:15:40 PM4/10/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I never tested this configuration, but I guess that the only folder that you can "safely" lock from writing is src (and maybe utils).
There are a couple of files in the root ns-3 folder that could be (probably) locked, but the rest is most probably needing a write permission.

One question tho. Did you "lock" a normal ns-3 directory or the "installed" one ?
You could try doing a ./waf install and then move to a write-only folder what is installed.

Hope this helps,

T.