Install problems...module failing

Marcus Wohler

Jun 8, 2016, 3:46:41 PM6/8/16
to ns-3-users
Apologies if I can't describe this well, I'm not very good at this. While installing through bake, I had been consistently getting an error when I would execute bake.py deploy saying that the ns-3.17 module had failed. Anyhow, I checked to see what its dependencies were and i configured one -- pygccmxl -- pretty much just to see if it would do any good. When I ran deploy again, I would not even reach my original error; now I get the error: "Error:  Critical dependency, module "pygccxml" failed ",which I believe is identical to what I had previously gotten (for the ns-3.17 module). Wondering if anyone knows how to go about resolving this?

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 8, 2016, 6:21:38 PM6/8/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I'd strongly suggest to use the latest ns-3 (and bake) releases, perhaps the errors you're facing have been fixed.
If the error is still there with 3.25, then let us know and we'll investigate.

Cheers,

T.

Marcus Wohler

Jun 9, 2016, 10:12:28 AM6/9/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That seems to have worked thanks. The deploy command worked, but -- one last question -- what is the last installation step... is it to build? I tried entering like the ./build.py  like the installation instructions said but got the result ./build.py: No such file or directory. Thanks for your help.

Best,
Marcus

--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 9, 2016, 10:30:53 AM6/9/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

build.py should be in the same directory as the download.py file. As an example, my directly looks like:
pecos@nightwatch ~/workspace/ns-3-allinone $ ls -l
total 96
-rw-r--r--  1 pecos pecos   924 Jun  8  2015 README
drwxr-xr-x  7 pecos pecos  4096 Jun  6 02:08 bake
-rwxrwxr-x  1 pecos pecos  5816 Nov  7  2015 build.py
drwxrwxr-x 23 pecos pecos  4096 Feb  9 21:19 click
-rw-rw-r--  1 pecos pecos   575 Nov  7  2015 constants.py
-rw-rw-r--  1 pecos pecos   584 Nov  7  2015 constants.pyc
-rw-rw-r--  1 pecos pecos  3064 Dec 14 12:11 diff.diff
-rwxrwxr-x  1 pecos pecos  6594 Nov  7  2015 dist.py
-rwxrwxr-x  1 pecos pecos  8476 Nov  7  2015 download.py
drwxr-xr-x  4 pecos pecos 12288 Apr 18 21:00 netanim
drwxr-xr-x 13 pecos pecos 20480 Jun  6 02:08 ns-3-dev
drwxrwxr-x 13 pecos pecos  4096 Mar 28 15:49 pybindgen
-rw-rw-r--  1 pecos pecos   561 Nov  7  2015 util.py
-rw-rw-r--  1 pecos pecos  1166 Nov  7  2015 util.pyc

T.

Marcus Wohler

Jun 9, 2016, 11:04:20 AM6/9/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks, that helped. I tried running it from the directory and got the following  error: ERROR: missing .config file; you probably need to run the download.py script first. but I don't seem to have a download.py file in any directory, whereas I see you have it in yours. I wonder how I go about getting this.

Thanks,
Marcus

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 9, 2016, 1:18:48 PM6/9/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I guess you have a kinda messed up environment. I'd suggest to start from scratch by downloading a new ns-3-allinone copy and following the tutorial.
Note that all the packages you did install already will be kept, you'll just have to download again ns-3, bake and such (what's in the ns-3-allinone directory).

Cheers,

T.

Konstantinos

Jun 9, 2016, 2:11:47 PM6/9/16
to ns-3-users
Just one comment on that (the messed up). You should follow one way or the other when downloading/building ns-3.
You can follow the bake method, the manual download etc.
You have downloaded and probably built ns-3 with the bake method. There is no need for download.py or build.py.

Marcus Wohler

Jun 10, 2016, 10:55:39 AM6/10/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Ah. That is certainly correct. So after I do bake.py deploy, what is the appropriate next step?

Thanks for your help,
Marcus

Konstantinos

Jun 10, 2016, 11:05:48 AM6/10/16
to ns-3-users
Hi Marcus,

Please refer to the ns-3 tutorial
I quote a sentence from that part:
Hint: you can also perform both steps, download and build, by calling ‘bake.py deploy’.

So, if you have 'deployed' ns-3, you are ready to run different scenarios etc.

Regards,
K.

Marcus Wohler

Jun 10, 2016, 12:25:56 PM6/10/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Ah fantastic. So I am finished installing then? How do I run it for the first time? $ ./waf --run hello-simulator gives me the error ./waf: No such file or directory. Thanks for your help.

Best,
Marcus

Konstantinos

Jun 10, 2016, 12:30:46 PM6/10/16
to ns-3-users
Again... RTFM!!
You have to be inside the ns-3 main folder.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Marcus Wohler

Jun 10, 2016, 2:11:45 PM6/10/16
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Okay great. Sorry if these are bad questions but I'm sorta over my head here...Does that mean I want to run hello-simulator after opening the attached window?
Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 1.40.04 PM.png

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 10, 2016, 4:38:09 PM6/10/16
to ns-3-users
Read The **** Manual.

If you're not confident with the terminal, we're sorry but this is not the place to teach you everything.
Please search a tutorial on how to use a terminal.
About your last question, the answer is: waf is a program that you use from the terminal, there's no "window".

T.

oguns...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2016, 12:10:46 PM6/11/16
to Marcus Wohler, ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I have been out of this group for a while, thats when I did my msc sometime in 2012.

Please am back now, I need a project/thesis topic to work on for my mphil program, any help from the group will be appreciated.

Let me add that I will also like to work alongside anyone here please.

Thanks.
Tunji

Sent from my Huawei Mobile
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ns-3-users" group.

Konstantinos

Jun 11, 2016, 1:40:28 PM6/11/16
to ns-3-users, markie...@gmail.com
Dear Tunji,

Glad you are back to the forum. However, the rules of posting haven't changed since, so I would suggest not to post on unrelated topics and not to post the same question twice (spam).

Regards,
K.