Packet Loss in Unicast and Broadcast

Johnson Chao

Sep 7, 2014, 7:31:16 PM9/7/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to ns-3. And I am trying to calculate the packet loss rate in both unicast and braodcast.

But the results were out of my expectation.

What I got is that the distance seemed to have no influence on packet loss in broadcast. Is it correct?

It would really help me if someone could provide me some insight to this question.

Thanks,
Johnson

wifi-plr-distance.cc

Tommaso Pecorella

Sep 8, 2014, 4:31:23 AM9/8/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the answer lies inside you. But it is WRONG.

What you are plotting is not the losses due to the channel, those are the losses due to the queues being full. I.e., when the channel bitrate is less than the application bitrate.
Indeed, your unicast plot follows the same trend of the ARF (just reversed), see "examples//wireless/wifi-adhoc.cc".
The attached pic is from an old ns-3 version. The actual one may be lightly different due to bug removals. Still, it's indicative of what I mean.

The broadcast transmission is always made at the lowest available bitrate... hence the constant throughput (and the constant loss).

All as expected.

Cheers,

T.

Johnson Chao