Counting number of packets sent: 6LowPAN and 802.15.4

Shashidhar B.L

Jun 9, 2015, 5:50:30 AM6/9/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have an application which is meant to send 100 packets of size 1024 bytes at regular intervals of time.
I want to count how many of these packets were actually sent.

To calculate number of packets received, i have a callback and it works fine.

I have following options to calculate number of packets sent:

1. Use the pcap files to trace the number of sent packets on a node. In my case I use Ipv6 6LowPAN and Lr-WPAN. Therefore the packets are sent in segments by the 6LowPAN. When I see the pcap files of Lr-Wpan then i can see a lot of retransmissions which makes it very difficult to keep track. I thought I would be able to filter out, but wireshark totally removes the packet if i want to filter based on certain condition.

For example, sequence number indicates uniqueness of a segment, so if i see a packet of same sequence number transmitted many times, that could possibly be a retransmission, If i filter based on this specific sequence number, then all entries are eliminated which is undesirable.
Could not find a method to remove these kind of duplicates. If you know any, please describe it, would be of great help.

In short, currently unable to use wireshark to track number of sent packets

2. trace file system. again the trace file system which is available for Lr-Wpan, indicates a large number of these segmented packets, tracking them is tough, so am unable to find out the actual number of packets sent.

If anyone has an idea of how i could track the actual number of packets sent, it would be really helpful. Kindly let me know.

Thank You
Regards
Shashidhar B.L

Tommaso Pecorella

Jun 9, 2015, 4:44:04 PM6/9/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Suggestion: try to measure the number of packet that have NOT been sent...

T.

Shashidhar B.L

Jun 9, 2015, 4:50:10 PM6/9/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I used the trace file to check the number of dropped packets overall. I know the number of packets received so could figure out number of transmissions.

Regards
Shashidhar B.L