LAA Flow duration problem

Vasilis

Apr 26, 2017, 4:00:15 AM4/26/17
to ns-3-users
Dear all,

I am experimenting with the LAA - WiFi coexistence module.
I am using UDP traffic. The OperatorA is set as WiFi and the operatorB is set as LAA.
I have separated the nodes of both operators so they don't interfere with each other. This is not something related to the problem but explains why at the attached phy_logs observed by node1 do not include WiFi transmissions and why the WiFi throughput is so high.
I have noticed the following strange behaviour.

When I am sending traffic with a duration e.g. 30s the LAA flows report a transmission duration of ~18-20 seconds. The flow of WiFi reports a TX duration of ~ 30 s at is should be. The reported TX duration can vary a bit regarding the TXOP (in the presented results TXOP=8ms) but still is much lower than the transmissions reported in the phy_logs
In the phy_logs I can see that the LAA nodes send traffic until the end of the simulator.

This strange behaviour also gives wrong throughput for the LAA flows.

Flow 1 (11.0.0.1:49153 -> 17.0.0.2:9) proto UDP
  Tx Packets: 279474
  Tx Bytes:   287299272
  TxOffered:  76.6131 Mbps
  Rx Bytes:   287299272
  Throughput: 77.0984 Mbps
  Mean delay:  0.760786 ms
  Mean jitter:  0.0706586 ms
  timeLastRxPacket: 32.0008 s
  timeFirstTxPacket: 2.18968 s
  rxduration: 29.8112 s
  Rx Packets: 279474
Apr 26, 2017, 10:24:16 AM4/26/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
> rxduration: *18.5685 s*
> Rx Packets: 57806
> Flow 2 (2.0.0.2:49154 -> 7.0.0.2:9) proto UDP
> Tx Packets: 275891
> Tx Bytes: 283615948
> TxOffered: 75.6309 Mbps
> Rx Bytes: 59565404
> Throughput: 25.9486 Mbps
> Mean delay: 4899.64 ms
> Mean jitter: 0.402106 ms
> timeLastRxPacket: 20.936 s
> timeFirstTxPacket: 2.57186 s
> rxduration: *18.3641 s*
> Rx Packets: 57943
> Flow 3 (2.0.0.2:49155 -> 7.0.0.4:9) proto UDP
> Tx Packets: 274614
> Tx Bytes: 282303192
> TxOffered: 75.2809 Mbps
> Rx Bytes: 61965784
> Throughput: 24.4297 Mbps
> Mean delay: 5321.63 ms
> Mean jitter: 0.410801 ms
> timeLastRxPacket: 23 s
> timeFirstTxPacket: 2.70804 s
> rxduration: *20.292 s*
> Rx Packets: 60278
> |

> Attached you can find the phy_logs observed by node1.
> Moreover it does not matter which flow is set as LAA and which as WiFi.
> If I interchange the operators then I have the same behaviour for
> operatorA instead of operatorB.
>
> I am using the latest version of the module.
>
> Am I missing something?

In general, this does not happen with LAA (e.g. ./waf --run
'laa-wifi-simple --duration=30'), so I think you will need to debug why
reception stops at some point. From the throughput numbers, it seems
like there must be a lot of packet loss also before 20s time.

- Tom

Vasilis

Apr 26, 2017, 10:47:25 AM4/26/17
to ns-3-users
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your answer.
My tests are based on the laa-wifi-simple that it has been extended with the following topology:

  bsNodesA.Create (1);
  bsNodesB
.Create (3);
  ueNodesA
.Create (1);
  ueNodesB
.Create (3);
  allWirelessNodes
= NodeContainer (bsNodesA, bsNodesB, ueNodesA, ueNodesB);

Ptr<ListPositionAllocator> positionAlloc = CreateObject<ListPositionAllocator> ();
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (1000.0, 0.0, 0.0)); // AP0 in cell 0

  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (d2, 0.0, 0.0)); // eNB1 in cell 1
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (0.0, 0.0, d2)); // eNB2 in cell 2
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (-d2, 0.0, 0.0));   // eNB3 in cell 3
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (1000.0, d1, 0.0));  // STA0 in cell 0
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (d2, d1, 0.0));  // UE1 in cell 1
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (0.0, d1, d2));  // UE2 in cell 2
  positionAlloc
->Add (Vector (-d2, d1, 0.0));  // UE3 in cell

Indeed when only one LAA is used in the flow the rx duration is correct.
Moreover, if the 3 operators are not in the proximity of each other then the rx duration is again correct.

The problem occurs for more than one LAA per operator, in the proximity of each other.

The rest of the code is the original one, using the last version: http://code.nsnam.org/laa/ns-3-lbt/

Best regards,
Vasilis

Tom Henderson

Apr 26, 2017, 11:09:59 AM4/26/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
--
Posting to this group should follow these guidelines https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Ns-3-users-guidelines-for-posting
---

Hi Vasilis,

I made the change you listed above and ran

./waf --run 'laa-wifi-simple --duration=30'

and did not see the problem.  Perhaps you have other changes elsewhere?

Anyway, I think that you will need to debug this using logging statements or other means, looking for events around the times that you observed that IP flow monitor stopped seeing packets.

- Tom

Vasilis

Apr 26, 2017, 12:30:59 PM4/26/17
to ns-3-users
Hi Tom,

Thank you very much again.
I downloaded again the whole code, built and run and I am still seeing the same results.

May I ask? Did you test the laa-wifi-simple using the default d1 and d2 values (d1=10 and d2=50)? Because in such a case possibly the LAA BS are not in the proximity of each other and they can reach the maximum throughput.
In my tests I used d1=10 and d2=10.

Attached you can find two files named "run-scenario.sh" and "1_wifi_3_laa.cc". The "run-scenario.sh" lists all the parameters used to configure the laa and wifi networks described in the "1_wifi_3_laa.cc". The "1_wifi_3_laa.cc" is under the scratch folder.

When I run the simulator (for 30sec) based on those files I am getting the following results:

Running simulation for 30 sec of data transfer; 34 sec overall
Operator A: Wi-Fi; number of cells 1; number of UEs 1
Operator B: LAA; number of cells 3; number of UEs 3
Total txop duration: 0 seconds.
Total phy arrivals duration: 0 seconds.
--------monitorA----------

Flow 1 (11.0.0.1:49153 -> 17.0.0.2:9)
proto UDP

Tx Packets: 275891

Tx Bytes:   283615948

TxOffered:  75.6309 Mbps

Rx Bytes:   283615948

Throughput: 77.0987 Mbps

Mean delay:  0.760652 ms

Mean jitter:  0.0706557 ms
  timeLastRxPacket
: 32.0007 s
  timeFirstTxPacket
: 2.57186 s
  rxduration
: 29.4289 s

Rx Packets: 275891
Apr 26, 2017, 12:44:22 PM4/26/17
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
There are a number of statistics and logs that can be enabled (to see the list, you can pass the '--PrintGlobals' argument to the command line).  I suggest that you first try to run a scenario that gives good performance, and enable those logs and have a look at what a 'good' run looks like, then enable the same logs for your configuration and see what is different.

- Tom

Vasilis

Apr 26, 2017, 1:21:56 PM4/26/17
to ns-3-users
Hi Tom,

Thank you a lot. Yes, I am quite familiar with NS3 and I have already tried to find the cause.
I just want to make sure that this is a general problem and not related to my setup. As I said I just used a fresh build of the code.

Could you please perhaps verify if you also get the same results in your setup using the settings I mentioned in my previous post?
Then maybe we can create a bug report related to this.

Many thanks,
Vasilis