CSMA/CA simulation in ns3

Doaa Terri

Jun 4, 2015, 2:18:53 AM6/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I am new to ns3 and I really need help in simulating a CSMA/CA protocol because I want to simulate some type of attacks that are related to this protocol. i found a module in ns3 called CSMA, so do I should start from thier or i should design the model from scratch ?

Thanks in advance !

Doaa Terri

Jun 4, 2015, 10:06:49 AM6/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I want to simulate the backoff attack that can be launched by some nodes in ad-hoc networks

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Konstantinos <dinos.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Doaa

Please study the available documentation.
For the CSMA module implemented in NS-3 you can read here  https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/csma.html
In addition, other modules such as WiFi are based on the CSMA/CA principle.

It depends on what you actually want to do.

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 7:18:53 AM UTC+1, Doaa Terri wrote:
I am new to ns3 and I really need help in simulating a CSMA/CA protocol because I want to simulate some type of attacks that are related to this protocol. i found a module in ns3 called CSMA, so do I should start from thier or i should design the model from scratch ?

Thanks in advance !

Konstantinos

Doaa Terri

Jun 4, 2015, 10:25:46 AM6/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
That is an interesting information to know, Thanks!
So I have first to understand the Wifi model then modify on it ? What possible changes can done on it ?

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Konstantinos <dinos.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Konstantinos

Jun 4, 2015, 10:28:55 AM6/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, doaa...@gmail.com
yes, first you need to understand how it works and then modify it.
The changes are up to you. Anything can change, you have full access to the code.

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 3:25:46 PM UTC+1, Doaa Terri wrote:
[...]

Doaa Terri

Jun 4, 2015, 10:57:03 AM6/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
ok.. Thanks!

 I am working on VANETs (vehicular ad hoc networks) so how I can integrate the mobile network with the code?
the mobile network have been generated in external mobility generator tool  called "mobisim"

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Konstantinos <dinos.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Konstantinos

Jun 4, 2015, 11:38:22 AM6/4/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, doaa...@gmail.com
If that tool can generate ns-2 formatted traces, you can use the Ns2MobilityHelper to load them.
Otherwise, you need to write your own mobility parser.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Doaa Terri

Jun 5, 2015, 5:14:13 AM6/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I used that tool and I was able to generate text files that contains information about the nodes(ie: x-position, y-position, speed,..) how can I visualize this in ns3?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Konstantinos

Jun 5, 2015, 5:46:22 AM6/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, doaa...@gmail.com
Hi Doaa,

As I have already mentioned, the trace file has to be formated following the ns2 mobility trace files.
For more information study the documentation

There are examples and discussions in the list explaining how to use ns2mobilityhelper.

If your trace file does not have the specified format, you can not use it. You need either (a) re-formated to the specified format or (b) create a parser to read that file and construct the mobility.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Doaa Terri

Jun 5, 2015, 10:07:14 AM6/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
ok,, thanks
 I wrote a code that can read the text files, but I don't know how or where I can see the mobile network in ns3 in order to check whether what I did is correct or not

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Konstantinos

Jun 5, 2015, 10:17:19 AM6/5/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, doaa...@gmail.com
Hi,

Please read the documentation.
There are two visualisers in NS-3. Choose whichever you like.

Also, if you have different problems, open new threads.
This one was related to CSMA/CA, then you asked for mobility and now for visualisers.
This is not acceptable practice and will not help future ns-3 users.

K.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Doaa Terri

Jun 6, 2015, 6:56:13 AM6/6/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot !
ok, sorry I will open new thread if I have different question

K.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users.

Tann Lybear

Jun 29, 2015, 8:38:20 AM6/29/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, doaa...@gmail.com
Dear Konstantinos,

I am confusing with WiFi are based on the CSMA/CA !

I am currently implement Wifi module in my simulation. Does it mean that CSMA/CA protocol is enable already in the Wifi module ?

If I want to enable CSMA/CA in the wifi module ,how can I do it?

Thanks!
best regards,
libea

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 9:18:01 PM UTC+9, Konstantinos wrote:
Dear Doaa

Please study the available documentation.
For the CSMA module implemented in NS-3 you can read here  https://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/csma.html
In addition, other modules such as WiFi are based on the CSMA/CA principle.

It depends on what you actually want to do.

Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Jun 29, 2015, 9:33:38 AM6/29/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, tannl...@gmail.com
Hi Tann,

Standard WIFI (802.11x) models are based on CSMA/CA. So you do not have to enable anything.
If you simulate the standard wifi module (and not the one discussed above) then CSMA/CA is the channel access mechanisms.