Sending and receiving frames through wifi (wave)

Tiago Cerqueira

Oct 24, 2014, 5:06:23 AM10/24/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I have created two ns3 applications, a client and a server. In those applications I'm sending a packet through a layer 3 interface (in my simulation, I'm using LTE) and through a layer 2 interface (in my simulation, I'm using 802.11p with WSMP).
I modelled said applications from the udp-echo-server/client applications, and they are in a rough stage of development.
Everything is working fine using LTE (the packet is sent and reaches its intended destination). However, when I send it using wave, no node reports receiving it. I have installed a callback on the receiving device, but the callback is never triggered (which should indicate a problem with the radio link).
I have triple checked everything I can remember that might be causing this problem, but I can't seem to find a solution. I can confirm that the server and client app are both being installed on the correct nodes and that the netdevice is initialized.
Can anyone help me?
I've attached the applications and the simulation file to this post...
Thanks!
carcode-server.cc
carcode-server.h
carcode-client.cc
carcode-client.h
AppTest.cc

Konstantinos

Oct 24, 2014, 5:26:35 AM10/24/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tiango,

I did not check the code thoroughly, but have you considered the propagation loss for WAVE?
In other words, are the two nodes in communication range, or is there a valid path and the corresponding routing protocol in place?

Tiago Cerqueira

Oct 24, 2014, 10:48:50 PM10/24/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As for your first question, I have tried placing the "stations" very near the non-station nodes at the time they communicate (my non-station nodes have mobility).
Regarding the routing protocol, I'm not sure if I've implemented it (from the stations to the remote host and from the remote host to the stations). However, that shouldn't affect the ReceiveCallback from being triggered when a wave packet reaches the wave interface, am I right?

Thanks!

Tiago Cerqueira

Oct 28, 2014, 9:19:34 PM10/28/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konstantinos,
I figured it out... The two nodes where side by side at all times, and communicating at the exact same time. Through debugging, I managed to see that the packets where being dropped in the EndReceive function from yans-wifi-phy.cc. My guess is they where arriving at the same time and colliding.
Anyway, this was a dumb blunder that cost me too much time. I was under the impression that both WAVE nodes where on opposite sides of the mobility trace, each with their own station nodes.

Best regards,
Tiago