No packets sent to a nonexisting node

D G

Aug 23, 2017, 8:23:36 AM8/23/17
to ns-3-users
Hi everyone,
this topic may sound odd at first but it actually is not.
I am using the Wifi80211pHelper and the QosWaveMacHelper and this is related to some unicast packets.

I set up a 2 Node scenario with a third nonexisting node.
Then I prepopulate the ArpCaches of those nodes with each others mac. and ips pairs and in addtion to that with a third pair of ip and mac which is not bound to any existing node.

So far so good.

In the first scenario I am using the existing node. The output seems reasonable to me: A packet is enqueued within the mac queue and sent afterwards.
But if I am sending packets to the nonexisting node there are neither packets enqueue nor are there any tries to resend the not acknowledged packets.

The question which now bothers me is: "Why are there no resends?"
Due to the protocol the mac should try to resend them at least 7 times until he gives up and drops the packet.

Has anyone an idea, what is going on wrong here? Or am i just mistaken and doing something wron again?

Best Regard
D.G.
80211p script.cc

Rediet

Aug 31, 2017, 2:53:34 AM8/31/17
to ns-3-users
Hello D.G.,

I haven't looked in depth into your code, but if a non-existent node won't do the trick why not try setting a node and putting it very very far away from the other two? From a networking aspect the result would be the same wouldn't it?

Rediet

D G

Aug 31, 2017, 4:14:33 AM8/31/17
to ns-3-users
My bad.
This issue is already solved :)
I just did it like you suggested it.
Nevertheless I am wondering why injecting of a "virtual node" doesn't work.
Thank you Rediet.

Best
D.G.