Routing overhead calculation

Nitya Kulkarni

Dec 1, 2014, 10:41:51 AM12/1/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

Hello!!
I wanted to know how to calculate routing overhead in ns3. Actually I am trying to do it for mesh network. So please help.

Thank you

Tommaso Pecorella

Dec 1, 2014, 12:09:31 PM12/1/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

you need to measure the number of packets (and their size) sent by each wireless interface. Then split them between the data ones and the others (mind that "others" may as well not be routing ones, e.g., ARP isn't routing but it is overhead).

I'd suggest to use probes attached to MacTx or similar, as FlowMonitor can't help on that.
Another possibility is to use Wireshark, but you'll need to separate the incoming and outgoing traffic, or the stats will be... funny.

As a side note, mind to not confuse the local overhead measures with the global overhead. E.g., what's the overhead of a broadcast packet ?

Hope this helps,

T.