EPC Emulator

Anand Viswanathan

Oct 7, 2014, 4:56:48 PM10/7/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am trying to run LENA as an EPC Emulator and had a few questions. Could anyone familiar with this please help?

1) I am getting an impression from the LENA's user manuals that it could be used as an EPC Emulator, is that correct?
2) If this were running as an EPC Emulator, could I then connect a real eNB/femto eNB to this?
3) I am looking at the page (http://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/lte-user.html) for trying this out. Any other documentation that could help me with this?

Thanks
Anand

Rafael Toschi Chiafarelli

Dec 10, 2014, 2:22:34 PM12/10/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, anan...@gmail.com

I have the same question. I've managed to put eNb connected to a fisical board, But epc was out of my reach. Did any one achieved this goal, meaning someone can help me, please?

thanks

Rafael Toschi Chiafarelli

Dec 10, 2014, 4:42:27 PM12/10/14
to Anand Viswanathan, ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I also reached that conclusion this afternoon.

eNodeB is a node, so I can put the net device into it. I don´t know if it could connect to a epc.

currently epc is not a node, is a set of nodes.... furthermore the emuepchelper does not have a quick change from the current state to a eNb physically connected state.

did Nicola mentioned how it would be done?

it would be extremely help full.... rs

tks

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Anand Viswanathan <anan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rafael

Are you trying to use this as an EPC Emulator? If so ns3 cannot be used for that purpose. I checked with Nicola Baldo who is one of the authors and Lena was not meant to work as an Emulator.

Thanks
Anand

--
Rafael Toschi Chiafarelli

(11) 9 9138-6776

Nicola Baldo

Dec 15, 2014, 6:12:06 AM12/15/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, anan...@gmail.com
Hi all,

to clarify this issue of EPC emulation:
  1. LENA currently supports emulation of the S1-U interface, see the docs: http://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/html/lte-user.html#using-the-epc-with-emulation-mode
  2. there is currently no support for the emulation of the S1-MME interface. At CTTC we are working on this feature but we are not sure yet when we will be able to release this feature.
  3. in order for LENA to be used as an EPC emulator connecting to a commercial eNB product (e.g., a femtocell), not only item 2 above should be implemented, but also some other missing EPC functionality shall be implemented. If any LTE equipment vendor would be willing to donate an eNB for interoperability testing, we would be happy to consider working on this after we finished item 2 above.

Rafael Toschi Chiafarelli

Dec 15, 2014, 6:57:45 AM12/15/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com, Anand Viswanathan
yep....

that would help a lot!!!

my current work would be related to LTE-EPC in a cloud.

currently there are a few commercially available solutions, but I have not seen an opensource one....

it would be nice to have a eNB for testing!

I will continue my search and who knows a few changes at the lena, here and there, it could turn into a cloud avialable LTE-EPC opensource simulator.... rs

tks man

Ibrahima Gaye

Apr 9, 2018, 12:30:31 AM4/9/18
to ns-3-users