what is the relaitionship among the OpenFlow/datapath ,OpenFlow/udatapath and OpenFlow/Swtich in NS3 OpenFlow module?

南宫煌

Jan 25, 2015, 9:43:32 AM1/25/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Now I am reading the source code of NS3 OpenFlow module ,I found that there are many same file in OpenFlow/datapath ,OpenFlow/udatapath and OpenFlow/Swtich.
Which one is the realization of  Switch ?
Thank you!

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 25, 2015, 3:07:39 PM1/25/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

sorry but I can't find what you are referring to. Mind to be more precise ? I.e., file name, class name, etc.

Thanks,

T.

南宫煌

Jan 26, 2015, 1:16:54 AM1/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
As well known,SDN networks is combined with controller、switch and host.
Now I am reading the source code of OpenFlow module in NS3,I found that there are many same files in OpenFlow/datapath ,OpenFlow/udatapath and OpenFlow/Swtich directory, as bellow pictures.
What are these directory used for? Which one is used as switch? What is the  difference between datapath and switch directory? and then datapath and udatapath.

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 26, 2015, 1:46:52 AM1/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
I know what's an SDN and I believe that the "SDN" term is used much like an empty keyword by too many people, exactly like "WSN". And I know I'd really like to have 1 dollar for each time an imbecile has used the term "SDN" in an inappropriate or meaningless way.

About your question, that's not the ns-3 openflow module. That is the OpenFlow ns-3 fork "fixed" to be used together with the ns-3 OpenFlow module.
The difference is that the thing you're looking at is practically identical to the original OpenFlow code. As a result, I'd suggest to check the OpenFlow code documentation (there are some links in the README).

As a side and totally unrelated note, I do remember that once upon a time the SysOp (the Admin) was used to post messages in forums with a title like "Sex pictures links".
Usually the content wasn't about sex pics, of course. It was about the forum rules or important announcements.
That's because people are lazy as **** and they don't even care to open something that seems important, like files named "Warning", "Important", "ReadMe" or "Install".
Speaking of, there's an "INSTALL" file in that directory... and guess what you can find inside (at the very beginning, not even the hassle to read the whole file) ?

The OpenFlow reference implementation includes three separate
OpenFlow switch implementations:

        - The "userspace switch": This implements an OpenFlow switch
          as a single user program (built as switch/switch).  The
          userspace switch is the easiest to build and use but it is
          much less featureful than the other switch implementations.

        - The "kernel-based switch": This divides the switch into a
          "datapath" Linux kernel module (openflow_mod.o for Linux 2.4
          or openflow_mod.ko for Linux 2.6) and a userspace program
          (secchan).  The kernel-based switch is faster than either of
          the other two implementations but requires building and
          installing a kernel module, which can sometimes be
          challenging.

        - The "userspace datapath-based switch": This divides the
          switch into a userspace "datapath" (built as
          udatapath/udatapath) and the same userspace program used by
          the kernel-based switch (secchan).  The userspace
          datapath-based switch is as featureful as the kernel-based
          switch and it does not require building a kernel module, but
          it is not as fast as the kernel-based switch and it is part
          of the OpenFlow extensions distribution, not the main
          OpenFlow distribution.

T.

南宫煌

Jan 26, 2015, 2:17:30 AM1/26/15
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer and that vivid instance.
I got the answer for my question and the way to learn things .

By the way,SDN is meant for "Software Defined Networks" which is a novel network architecture .