GPSR packets

Marcin Waszczuk

Apr 8, 2014, 12:44:02 PM4/8/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am using GPSR protocol in vanet ns3 simulations and i found smth interesting. When i analyse .pcap files in wireshark i see 1142 bytes of data being sent, when actually the number of bytes of data to transmitt i set is equal to 1024. What are the rest 118 bytes? (control packets with location of nodes or what?) do you know any good paper with such information about packets in gpsr? i can't find any.

Thank you in advance,

Marcin

Konstantinos

Apr 8, 2014, 1:08:50 PM4/8/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
The 1024bytes are at the application layer? Then you have to account for UDP/TCP + IP + GPSR header (I think it adds a PositionHeader -- don't know its size).

Tommaso Pecorella

Apr 8, 2014, 1:11:45 PM4/8/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

open the pcap with wireshark and try analyzing the packets. I think you're correct in assuming the extra bytes are headers and such, but only pcap can tell you. You could, also, analyze the code and check which headers are added.

BTW, mind that the "number of bytes of data to transmit" is L7 data (if you used a normal ns-3 application). You'll have to add the IP and L4 (TCP or UDP) headers.
E.g., 1024 bytes + 20 (IPv4) + 8 (UDP) = 1052. For TCP is 1024 + 20 + 20.

Moreover, mind the WiFi header and trailer... the minimum is 30 bytes for the header and 4 for the trailer.

Cheers,

T.

Henry

Jul 11, 2014, 6:31:10 AM7/11/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,

I am a new ns3 user.

Can I have your GPSR module scripts, please?

Thanks a lot!