Co simulation

Youssef Ahres

Jul 18, 2014, 1:32:04 PM7/18/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
As part of a research project, my teammate and I developed a co-simulation platform between NS-3 and Matlab to simulate different distributed optimization algorithms in a smart grid.

Although the design is simple, relying on socket connection between both programs, we were wondering if the community was interested in our work. It could save some time for researches who are looking to try optimization in real network setting.

Of course, if it's the case, we would clean it up our project and put it in NS-3 compliant format code.

Thanks,
Youssef

Konstantinos

Jul 18, 2014, 2:12:26 PM7/18/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Youssef,

any addition to the ns-3 project is always welcome.
Please follow the steps needed to contribute your code as explained here http://www.nsnam.org/developers/contributing-code/

Tommaso Pecorella

Jul 19, 2014, 6:34:51 AM7/19/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Youssef,

I totally agree with Kostantinos. This could be a totally cool feature, especially considering that Matlab has some great optimization functions.

From my personal experience, using Matlab could lead to unforeseen troubles when you will need to write an equivalent code not relying on Matlab (e.g., when you want to get a nice research thing and make a commercial device). However, for scientific purposes some Matlab toolbox are the best solution.

Anyway, I'd suggest to write a mail to ns-3 devs mailing list explaining a bit better your system architecture and your release plans. For this kind of things the "devs" mailing list is the best place.

Cheers,

T.

Bhagya

Nov 12, 2014, 9:36:53 PM11/12/14
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Youssef,

I'm interested in developing a co-simulation tool with NS3 and Matlab/simulink for protection and relay operations in Smart Grid.

It would be really appreciated if you could guide me based on your approach.

Thanks
Bhagya