Application-level FEC implementation in ns-3?

Amita Kamath

Jan 14, 2017, 1:09:20 PM1/14/17
to ns-3-users, Mohit P. Tahiliani, Mohit P. Tahiliani, Chirag Jamadagni
Dear All,

Is there an implementation of application-level FEC available in ns-3? We have searched the documentation, but we are only able to find FEC in the context of WiMAX and the physical/MAC layers.

If not, is there any library interfaced with ns-3 that we could use for this purpose instead?

Thanks and regards,
Amita Kamath
NITK Surathkal, India

Tommaso Pecorella

Jan 14, 2017, 9:05:51 PM1/14/17
to ns-3-users, tahi...@nitk.edu.in, tahilia...@gmail.com, chirag.j...@gmail.com
Hi,

the channel errors (and the FEC techniques) are simulated statistically in ns-3. There is no bit-level simulation, only a chunk-level one (study the spectrum model).
What you can do is to add the proper overhead in the packets (for the FEC bits) and modify the error probability functions according to your needs, or you could add a residual error probability (it's not modeled in ns-3) and work with that one at application level.

T.

Amita Kamath

Jan 16, 2017, 11:53:17 PM1/16/17
to ns-3-users, tahi...@nitk.edu.in, tahilia...@gmail.com, chirag.j...@gmail.com
Thank you very much for your reply, Mr. Pecorella. We will certainly look into the solutions you suggested.

Regards,
Amita Kamath
NITK Surathkal, India