How to calculate coverage area for 802.11p

Ricardo

Aug 22, 2015, 12:28:10 AM8/22/15
to ns-3-users
Hi,

I'm using 802.11p on my simulations, I've noticed that the default coverage area (in NS3) is about 200 meters. In some papers I've read that the range of transmission for 802.11p is between 300 and 400 meters, and it can vary up to 1 km.

I know that I can modify the values of the YansWifiPhyHelper object. But I don't know which ones and how to calculate them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

phy.Set ("TxPowerStart", DoubleValue(value));
phy
.Set ("TxPowerEnd", DoubleValue(value));
phy
.Set ("TxPowerLevels", UintegerValue(value));
phy.Set ("TxGain", DoubleValue(value) );
phy.Set ("RxGain", DoubleValue (value) );

Thanks in advance :)

Ricardo

Aug 22, 2015, 2:27:25 PM8/22/15
to ns-3-users
I forgot to say, I want to calculate the parameters so the transmission range of 802.11p in NS3 is 400 m.

Konstantinos

Aug 22, 2015, 4:40:50 PM8/22/15
to ns-3-users
Hi Ricardo,

This topic has been discussed several times in the mailing list (i.e. how to configure the communication range). Search the
It is partly related to the YansWifiPhy attributes as those you have put here, as well as the propagation loss model that you consider, the data rate, and the packet size.
All these parameters affect the communication range so e.g. there is no exact value for TxPower to get e.g. 400m. It will depend on others.

Regards,
K.