Sending new packet after recievieng the ack (synchronous send), wifi mesh vs 802.11s

ahmad r

Aug 13, 2016, 9:38:19 PM8/13/16
to ns-3-users
Hi
I am using AODV, on top of Wifi, and the internet stack is installed on my nodes. I am using UDP socket to send data.

Question:
I tried to use mesh.cc (which uses 802.11s), however, I dont know why I have a large data loss, so I shifted to aodv.cc which uses Wifi.
1- what is the different between wifimesh(which is used in aodv.cc example) and, 802.11s (which is used in mesh.cc). I know that 802.11s uses another routing protocol. I want to build an adhoc network, without infrastructure. the nodes are mobile. which one is proper?

I want to send a bulk of data(sat 10M bits) from Node A, to Node B with several hops between them. (in the receiver, I count the number of received packets.) I got packet lost(dont know why). all I want is to measure the delay of sending ALL my data from A to B. so I have to check the ack and then send the lost packets again. one method is synchronous send, which i s easier to implement.

Question:
2- how in the receiver, I can sent Ack to sender?
3- How in the sender, I can check for receiving the Ack? and sending the packet again in the case of packet loss.

Thanks,
Ahmad

Tommaso Pecorella

Aug 14, 2016, 4:45:20 PM8/14/16
to ns-3-users
Hi,

answers in-line.

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 3:38:19 AM UTC+2, ahmad r wrote:
Hi
I am using AODV, on top of Wifi, and the internet stack is installed on my nodes. I am using UDP socket to send data.

Question:
I tried to use mesh.cc (which uses 802.11s), however, I dont know why I have a large data loss, so I shifted to aodv.cc which uses Wifi.
1- what is the different between wifimesh(which is used in aodv.cc example) and, 802.11s (which is used in mesh.cc). I know that 802.11s uses another routing protocol. I want to build an adhoc network, without infrastructure. the nodes are mobile. which one is proper?

There are many differences, too many to be listed here. I'd suggest to search in Internet for a comparison among the standards.
About which one is more suited for your simulations... it depends on the scenario. 802.11s has been developed for VANETs, but that's not a limitation.

I want to send a bulk of data(sat 10M bits) from Node A, to Node B with several hops between them. (in the receiver, I count the number of received packets.) I got packet lost(dont know why). all I want is to measure the delay of sending ALL my data from A to B. so I have to check the ack and then send the lost packets again. one method is synchronous send, which i s easier to implement.

Question:
2- how in the receiver, I can sent Ack to sender?
3- How in the sender, I can check for receiving the Ack? and sending the packet again in the case of packet loss.

That's a very complex question, and it could be basically summarized in:
1) Study the UdpEcho applications, and
2) Why don't you use TCP ?

T.