How do I create a switch with shared buffer in NS3?

David Huichen Dai

Apr 6, 2018, 4:40:51 AM4/6/18
to ns-3-users
Hi all,

I have been plagued by this problem for a long time: How do I create a switch with shared buffer in NS3?

The routine to create a topology in an NS3 script is:
1. create nodes,
2. create links between two nodes using a point-to-pointer-helper, which will return two NetDevice in a NetDeviceContainer,
3. install queue disciplines (e.g., red or pfifo) using a traffic-control-helper on the NetDevices in the NetDeviceContainer.

The queues will be used by each NetDevice, rather than shared by all the ports of an intermediate node, that is a switch/router.
But nowadays the switches are almost shared-buffer ones, how can I implement them in NS3?

And one more question, is the queue in a NetDevice input queue or output queue?

Best,
David